My first spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I recently got a crook knife from Outdoor Code and have been busy trying to carve a spoon. This is my first attempt.

dscn1694af6.jpg

dscn1695vd7.jpg

dscn1696yb5.jpg

Now I know it's not the best spoon ever shown on here, far from it in fact, but I am quite pleased for a first attempt.

I've kind of got the bug now and was starting on a new one when....woops, the crook knife slipped and embedded itself in my left thumb, and I write with my left hand. Sharp things them Crook Knives :rolleyes:

dscn1697tj6.jpg

dscn1698mt2.jpg

I've also made the case for it like the one in Jon R's post
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21907&highlight=crook+knife but it's nowhere near as nice so I won't show that one :) .

Thanks for looking and any tips are more than welcome.

ATB Stu

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
That looks pretty good to me mate. My first attempt is still waiting for sanded looks a little like you suffered the same problem as me getting carried away with taking off al ittle too much from the handle!!!??!!!
Have a look at my pics .... anyway not a criticism as its better than mine,:D a bit addictive and very relaxing carving eh? Watch the fingers though (bet you dont do that again!)
Dave

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I've also made the case for it like the one in Jon R's post
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21907&highlight=crook+knife but it's nowhere near as nice so I won't show that one :) .

Thanks for looking and any tips are more than welcome.

ATB Stu

You must show me the crook knife case you've made! I would love to see it no matter how good it is! Pretty please with a cherry on top!

When carving a spoon i tend to leave the handle thick untill near to the end because it gives you something to grip on to.

If i were a beginner i would maybe carve a stiring spoon first because its simple and you dont need a curved piece of wood etc. Just keep carving and you should notice improvement in your work from spoon to spoon! Also take your time and dont rush!! Think about each cut you make and keep comparing each side of the spoon to make sure things are symetrical.

Take inspiration from spoons in your cuttelry draw for shapes. You could even draw round them as a template.

I would advise that you should use easily carvable woods when only a beginner. Try using Lime wood or Sycamore.

Hope that helps. The thing that will improve your skills most is not advice though, its getting out there and doing it.

Jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE