My First knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Hello, after seeing several examples of really good quality knives at the Bushmoot, this year, I thought I'd finish my first knife.
The blade was made for me, by my good friend Ogri The Trog, who started with an old metal file, ground it down and shaped it, then heat treated it in his kitchen range.
The handle I made from some ash, which has been finished with beeswax.
I now need to make a leather sheath for it, and have one small question which maybe someone can help me with.
Do I make the sheath slightly smaller than required and then soak it and stretch it to fit, or make it bigger and shrink to fit?

I'd appreciate your comments on the knife, and some help with the sheath as this is my first try.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Well, I'll start the avalanche of replies;
The handle looks great Buddy, lovely grain and a good sheen, rivets look good too.
I don't want to comment on the blade as it would be improper :rolleyes:

ATB

Ogri the trog

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Knife looks lovely!

As for sheath if you are wet forming, make it the correct size, and the forming will make it a tight fit.

If not try to make it "The correct size" for the knife in the first place

Hop this helps

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Thanks Pignut, I'm quite pleased with the knife, I thought it'd all gone wrong for a while, when I glued the handles on, then started to sand and carve them down. I ripped out a chunk of the ash, and nearly gave up....but soem more careful sanding and whittling and it came good. Just shows, persistance does pay off.

I'll be making a start on the sheath in the next week or so, and will make it a snug fit as you suggested. When it's done i'll put some more pictures up, that's if i can work out how to get a better photo size.....

Thanks again for the advice much appreciated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE