my first bits of carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
from this - a piece of leftover 3x3 from my decking frame that's been sitting in the garden for a year or so;

to this;

and with a spoon i made from the same bit of wood;

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
Hi,

If that is your first time you seem to have a natural talent for carving.

Keep up the excellent work.

Cheers

Andy.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Nice work Gorilla!

Great Kuksa! Amazing how a block of wood can be transformed! That spoon has a great shape to it too!

Andy is right! You must have a natural tallent for wood carving if thats your first!

Show the serving spoon next!

Thanks

Jon

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
That is some nice carving there mate!

Just one concern.... the post wasn't presure treated was it? as if so it me be 'soaked' with nasty chemicals to the core! :confused:

I do hope not as it is lovely and it would be a shame to not beable to use it!

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
That is some nice carving there mate!

Just one concern.... the post wasn't presure treated was it? as if so it me be 'soaked' with nasty chemicals to the core! :confused:

I do hope not as it is lovely and it would be a shame to not beable to use it!

don't think so - it came off a pallet of roofing panels - just being used as a stack spacer

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I always find it very uplifting and encouraging to see the first efforts of an artist. Especially when they are so well done!

I hope to see a lot more of your wonderful work!

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
Very nice! I am now inspired to carve a Kuksa - been Googling about for some examples. Did you find that the wood you used was tough to carve? I thought green wood would be best for that...

Cheers,

Mungo

hi mungo
the wood didn't semm too difficult to carve, although as it's my very first attempt, i haven't yet used green wood, so i can't compare - it may well be easier!

fishfish - i used jonr s tutorial (in the articles section) to do the kuksa - you'll notice mine is a straight copy of his pattern. like mungo, i'm looking for new pattern ideas, as a couple of friends want me to make one for them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE