Metal file care and maintenance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Not sure where exactly to post this but here goes...

I have two new Nicholson files. I am wondering what I can do to keep these clean and lasting a long time.

What can I do to clean out the metal filings? What can I do to keep them from staining/rusting.

Any info, tricks, tips etc... on extending the life of a file would be great.

Thanks.

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
I use a lot of files about 30 at the last count ranging from 4 inches to 16 inches. Files are very brittle so they should not come into contact with other files or other hard objects. To clean a file, use a file card which looks like a wire brush or use a piece of hardwood. To prevent metal beening lodged between the teeth, common with soft metals like aluminium rub with ordinary chalk. Files should be kept dry to prevent rust. It really pays to buy good quality files like Stubbs, Nicholson, Grobet and Vallorbe, they cut faster and cleaner and worth the small extra.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
To clean metal out of your file simply get a piece of copper water pipe, flatten the end in a vice or with a hammer, then rub this along the profile of the teeth, As you do this the shape of the teeth will quickly become formed in the flat copper. Now work you way along the length of the file, a bit at a time, using the copper to push the debris out of the teeth.
Never use a wire brush or file card.
I try to avoid oiling files as they seem to clog quicker when oily.
In use rub chalk into the teeth to lubricate the file and help make the teeth last longer.
Files deserve to be looked after, they are the metalworker's equivalent of the bushcrafter's knife.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE