Meeting Natives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
For all those Stuart-y types out there:

I am putting together a proposal to submit to a trust for a travel grant. The travel does not have to be scientific, but should "widen the mind." I was thinking a Bushcraft related trip, perhaps to meet natives.

I was hoping you guys would be able to help me out with where exactly? Preferably not in the antipodes and not in too dangerous an environment.

Not having done an expedition overseas before, I want to be careful not to bite off more than I can chew. I am going to do a first aid course, beforehand, if you guys have any other recommendations for courses please share.

Even if you don't think I should be doing this, I would appreciate some advice about the kinds of things I should learn and experience beforehand to prepare, as if I don't do it this year I will do it in future years.

And similarly if you have any advice about minimizing risk, for example satellite phones or something. A list of the kinds of risks on this kind of expedition would be particularly useful, I will do some research about that now.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many many thanks in advance,

Harry

Why not headout to Lappland and meet our natives?

Sweden is close enough but also wild enough to satisfy your sense of adventure.

You could spend some time with the Saami learning some useful skills that you can use back here,it wouldn't cost you a fortune and the logistical aspect would be alot easier and safer.

Think of it as a training exercise before tackling more adventures climes.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hello,
I think the risks you will face and should prepare for depend on when and where you want to go. Argually the developed world is an easier and safer place to travel, but conversly much of that edginess and culture has been lost.
I think the old phrase 'forwarned is forarmed' is very useful. When you decide on your destination try to find out as much as possible about the place: Lonely Planet guidebooks are great for this they also help you get the most out of your trip.
I think doing a first aid course is an excellent idea but also try to learn about hygeine in the field, its sounds obvious but virtually every trip ive been on people have suffered sickness - either from bad food,bad water or poor personal hygiene.
From that learn how to make a good expedition meal and purify your water remmber you could be using twice the calouries you do normally.
Get the best kit you can afford and be sure its the right gear for the climate- use it and abuse it before hand especially things like boots, tents and rucksacks find out what works for you.
Dont forget personal security- is your wallet/passport/money safe from pick pockets, do you look like a wealthy tourist or a skint traveller.
Learn about what to do in a emergency and about the nations healthcare and rescue facilties, on one trip I went on the local mountain rescue was an old guy and his mule!
It might be worth having a look at what you want to learn or experience- is it skills and crafts or perhaps a way of life or famous sites or experiences?
This might help you decide on where to go?
Hope these thoughts help good luck with your planning. Ta Ed

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Thanks so much everybody. I will be sure to follow this advice.

The Saami sound like a fantastic idea. For some reason they seem to me to be more approachable to natives in other parts of the world, I don't know if this has any grounding in truth at all.

I guess a mix of skills and also the way of life both appeal to me strongly.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Does anybody have any particular recommendation regarding where to travel. Sápmi seems a large area. I would imagine I would spend a few weeks, travelling to see a cross section of saami (is the occupational divide: reindeer, costal, etc... still prevalent?), and avoid areas of extreme cold!

Speaking of which, I would like to find some data about the average temperatures in early summer of such areas.

The deadline for this grant fast approaches!

Thanks so much for all your help guys

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE