Medieval style Costrel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
In light of Jon R's post about making things I thought I'd share this. Not something for mass appeal but a project I enjoyed anyhow, just need to get round to finishing the stopper! :eek:

Think on it as a Medieval sports bottle :D

DSCF1420.jpg

DSCF1423.jpg

I'm planning a much bigger one for a winter project

Cheers
Mike

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
Well thats different and seems very well made. I can't see it holding alot of fluid though!:22:

I made it as an experiment in constuction so it is small. It actually holds just under a pint so not too bad.

The next one will be a tad larger.

Cheers
Mike

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
Thats a great little bottler you've made! Is it naturally watertight or do you have to seel the stitching and seems with something?

Not naturally watertight, no. You need to seal the seams/inside of the bottle. Traditionally done with either beeswax or pine pitch.

Cheers
Mike

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Nice flask Mike. Can I make a suggestion though (for the next one). Once you have assembled it and finished the stitching, soak it in water so it goes nice and floppy then stuff it full of barley and ram the barley in with a bit of dowel. This will make the sides swell out (the leather will stretch evenly all round). Then let it dry. Empty the barley out and remove any barley that has stuck to the damp inside surface by throwing in a handful of small metal nuts and shaking the whole thing to dislodge the stuck barley. Once all the barley is out you can beeswax the whole thing and it should last 100 years of normal use.

Eric

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
Nice flask Mike. Can I make a suggestion though (for the next one). Once you have assembled it and finished the stitching, soak it in water so it goes nice and floppy then stuff it full of barley and ram the barley in with a bit of dowel. This will make the sides swell out (the leather will stretch evenly all round). Then let it dry. Empty the barley out and remove any barley that has stuck to the damp inside surface by throwing in a handful of small metal nuts and shaking the whole thing to dislodge the stuck barley. Once all the barley is out you can beeswax the whole thing and it should last 100 years of normal use.

Eric

Brilliant Eric, thanks. Sounds even better than using sand.

Cheers
Mike

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Sand is a real pain to get out (I know, I've tried it). You end up with a fine layer of sand in the bottom of your glass for ages afterwards and as a maker, it's not what you want.

You can also use rice but the starch that leaches out onto the damp leather makes it difficult to dislodge. Trial and error has definitely led me to using barley. You can buy barley quite cheaply in Sainsburys or Tesco in small packets next to the soup mixes. Barley is also historically accurate and is great if you ever end up doing a period demonstration of your craft work. From a flask making point of view there's no real difference in using barley and wheat grains.

Barley last a lot longer though as it isn't effected by moisture. I found wheat softens and sometimes sprouts after the third or fourth flask. The barley I'm using has been stored in a canvas bag for two years now and is just as good as the day I bought it. It'll still be good for making soup as well. If you want any info on my waxing techniques just ask.

I've found (again through trial and error) that it's necessary to get the leather completely impregnated with beeswax for archival permanency. Just coating the inside is not enough. It is total impregnation that makes the leather totally liquid proof and hard as nails too.

Eric

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That looks great Mike - I'd love to see a couple of holes added to the top for a strap or cord as well to make it a real practical user.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE