Maxpedition Colossus Camera Bag. Pic Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
Got myself another Colossus to use as my camera bag, had one before and for some strange reason sold it, missed it so got another. It is the normal Maxp quality build, anyone who owns any Maxp stuff will know what I mean, won't go into spec of material but needless to say it is tuff, waterproof and near indestructible. Its a single shoulder carry, either left or right, padded shoulder strap, and the back is nicely padded too. The whole bag is padded to protect contents.

Anyway, here's my bag with current contents. Bag is nowhere near full to capacity, all areas could hold loads more, but this is what I normally carry.

Top loop great for slotting my monopod through, and as top pouch and main compartment open away from you when wearing it, it dosn't get in the way, top elastic loops can also be used to hold light jacket/waterproof etc. Front has a zipped slip pocket, and a small pouch at the bottom, which can be separate, or undone inside to make front pouch deeper, which is how I use it.
IMG_0538.jpg
[/IMG]

I have put a carry handle through one of the top loops, simple bit of strap with buckle hidden, not used to carry so much as just to pick bag up when moving around etc.
IMG_0541.jpg
[/IMG]

Front pouch is left pretty much empty to pop things in when I go out, phone, wallet etc. Has a couple of things in, shown in next photo. Notice I have changed the zipper pulls to main compartment to distinguish from the others.
IMG_0542.jpg
[/IMG]

Noraml contents, Moleskin notebook, some lose card, space pen, spyderco urban, and a swiss card tool thingy.
IMG_0544.jpg
[/IMG]

Top pouch with a few bits and bobs in. Spare battery, lens blower, surefire E1l Outdoorsman with KL4 head, leatherman, lens cover.
IMG_0546.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0547.jpg
[/IMG]

Main compartment opens away from you which is a great design. Small net pouch in top of lid with memory cards and spare set of earphones.
IMG_0548.jpg
[/IMG]

Inside there are various sleeves for organisation, nothing in these other than my camera user manual.
IMG_0549.jpg
[/IMG]

Inside is large enough for my EOS 500D with lens attached, either kit lens or larger zoom, plus room for another couple of lens. The dividers do not come with the bag, these are from an old camera bag I had.
IMG_0550.jpg
[/IMG]

Contents, Eos 500D with 18-55mm Kit lens, Canon 50mm lens, 70-300mm Tamron lens with hood.
IMG_0551.jpg
[/IMG]

If I need to carry anything else, such as crusader mug, cooker, water and food for a full day I attach a Maxp Roly Poly, and or a 10x4 bottle holder. The joy of maxp stuff is its expandability. I have several other pouches so the combinations are limitless depending on what I want to carry. All can be attahced with clips, straps etc. I use a couple of grimlocks.
IMG_0553.jpg
[/IMG]

Roly Poly opened up,
IMG_0554.jpg
[/IMG]

Maxp 10x4 bottle carrier, will hold a 1lt Nalgene bottle with ease, plus pouch on front will hold hex cooker or other bits.
IMG_0555.jpg
[/IMG]

All together, its a bit neater when attached properly but you get the idea.
IMG_0556.jpg
[/IMG]

All in all its a great bag for what I use it for, comfy to carry all day, even loaded up, being able to carry either side means you can swap it around too. There are loops on the bottom too, so sometimes put a poncho and sit mat underneath.

C

cat1989

thinking i need a better bag just got a basic lowepro at the moment.

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
i have a lowepro toploader 70AW, zoom pouch, mesh bottle holder. i like to carry on my waist with a deluxe waistbelt.
while it is a pretty good bag, it just isnt big enough. i use a nikon D700 and several lenses.
still looking for the "holy grail" of camera carriers...

i have been considering the maxped colossus for some time...
can it be belt carried like a fanny pack? does it have a slot/attachment points on the back for a belt carry option?

nice setup! thanks for posting.

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
mmmmmmm - now i think that I need one ;-)

How tight is the 70-300 in the bag? Is there any room for a few more mm?

Does the place where you have placed the monopod secure at all - or is it more of a slip in / pull out?

Not tight at all, at least another 20-30mm without stretching the sides of the bag. I'll measure it over the weekend for you if you need to know.

Monopod slips through the strap which is snugg, also the elastic cord tightens up to hold it firmly. It can't fall out, you have to physically give it a tug.

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
i have a lowepro toploader 70AW, zoom pouch, mesh bottle holder. i like to carry on my waist with a deluxe waistbelt.
while it is a pretty good bag, it just isnt big enough. i use a nikon D700 and several lenses.

can it be belt carried like a fanny pack? does it have a slot/attachment points on the back for a belt carry option?

nice setup! thanks for posting.

Shoulder carry only i'm afraid, there is a loop to secure it to a belt but only to stop it swinging about whilst over shoulder.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com

Almac,

Have you checked out the Lowe Pro Outback series of belt packs?

Outback 200
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Outback-200,2154,7.htm

Outback 300
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Outback-300-AW,2155,7.htm

I know what you mean about the holy grail.

I currently use a Canon 5D MKII, Tamron 10-24mm, Canon 24-70 L f/2.8, Canon 70-200 f/4 L.

I haver been looking for some time for a 2 bags that will hold all of the above, plus some extras:

- 30-40L ramble rucsack for hiking and scrambling
- 60-70L trekking pack for longer/overnight trips.

Both should have...

- quick access to the camera (preferably without taking the bag off completely) - although for the the larger bag this is less of an issue
- room to carry the lenses in a padded camera section
- water bladder compatible
- rain cover

For the 60-70L one room to fit sleeping bag, tarp/bivi or tent, cook kit, etc etc.

Any have any ideas?

Cheers

Mike

C

cat1989

those outbacks look pretty good going to have to check out the price. thanks for that.

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
ok. so i looked at the outback. interesting bag. i've been looking at a few other bags too.
problem now is that i've added a MD-10 grip :pto the bottom of my D700, and now i need something larger than my current setup(Lowepro S&F Toploader 70AW, with pouches).

i think i'm just going to modify my Maxped Kodiak by adding an insert, like this guy did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMroSR5TdD4

just need to figure out how he did it.:confused:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I use an 1150 Black Peli Case, which is bombproof.
It fits 2 Batteries, Remote, DSLR body, and 55-200mm lens. Which then goes in the pack.
The Lens pen and Strap go elsewhere.
Although the weight is offputting at 1.7kg without a tripod.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE