Making straw/grass rope :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know I talked about making this before, but it's kind of hard to describe just 'how' to get the twist in. Thing is though, anyone with an overgrown lawn can make this stuff :)

However, there's a Chinese lady who does interesting things, and here she is making straw rope to make into a kind of basketry structure. I don't know her name, but she is very clear in showing just how to do it :cool:

If you're not in the mind to watch her video right through, the rope making begins just after a minute in..... :)

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I was at a scything fair one summer & someone made a huge grass rope for a tug of war match. must of been 30cm round & 40m long, all platted & joined in one huge length.
It was surprisingly strong, but it did break.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In the Andes the communities come together to make thin grass ropes. Those ropes are then worked up to make hawsers. Those hawsers become the supports for the bridges that they make to cross very deep river gorges. The Inca kingdom was incredibly well organised, and making these grass ropes was part of the responsibilities of the people who farmed the land.
Similar rope structures were and are made world wide, from Asia right through to Northern Ireland where is still a rope bridge made over a deep water crossing.

I think, no I believe on good historical and archaeological evidences, that rope making has an incredibly long provenance in human history :)

I really appreciate hand work, I really enjoy learning how to do it, and the feeling of competency is unbeatable. Lot of quiet pleasure in watching someone make stuff like this.

Reactions: Seagull

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Mikko Snellman, from Aland.
As far as I know, this chap does not use grass for rope making, but just watch him laying-up fibres on his home made rig. Mesmerizing.

Back in the transition to steam,,the RN still used 'grass lines' ( from Esparto Grass) of huge diameters, that were often floated downwind to a casualty, so that they could be taken in tow.
I have never seen one of these things, though I recall reading, somewhere, they could range in diameter ,up to half the chest width of a large man.

I wouldn't have wanted the job of splicing it, that's for sure.
Regards All
Ceeg

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
In the Andes the communities come together to make thin grass ropes. Those ropes are then worked up to make hawsers. Those hawsers become the supports for the bridges that they make to cross very deep river gorges. The Inca kingdom was incredibly well organised, and making these grass ropes was part of the responsibilities of the people who farmed the land.
Similar rope structures were and are made world wide, from Asia right through to Northern Ireland where is still a rope bridge made over a deep water crossing.

I think, no I believe on good historical and archaeological evidences, that rope making has an incredibly long provenance in human history :)

I really appreciate hand work, I really enjoy learning how to do it, and the feeling of competency is unbeatable. Lot of quiet pleasure in watching someone make stuff like this.
Yes the Incas are good with grass/reeds.. I went to the Uros islands on lake Titicaca Peru & spent some time with a Peruvian family.
The boats made out of reeds are marvellous pieces of ingenuity( bit like a oversized bulky canoe with upturned ends & painted in pastel colours.
They also still live on floating reed islands anchored to the lake bed complete with reed houses..
A people who are very proud of their unique heritage & lifestyle.

Reactions: Toddy

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
The Ropery in Chatham Dockyard was a memorable visit a few years back.

Attachments

• Chatham Dockyard ropery 2.jpg
    Chatham Dockyard ropery 2.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Chatham_Dockyard_ropery.jpg
    Chatham_Dockyard_ropery.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Seagull

Condex

Life Member
Jul 19, 2004
Back in BARRY, AFTER 20 yrs in Asia
I know I talked about making this before, but it's kind of hard to describe just 'how' to get the twist in. Thing is though, anyone with an overgrown lawn can make this stuff :)

However, there's a Chinese lady who does interesting things, and here she is making straw rope to make into a kind of basketry structure. I don't know her name, but she is very clear in showing just how to do it :cool:

If you're not in the mind to watch her video right through, the rope making begins just after a minute in..... :)

That is very good video she mak s it look so easy.
Having lived in Asia for over 30years in number of different countries I have seen all sorts of crafts like this that they make look so easy.
But the Difference is they did this as kids from age 4 or 5 abd it was part of everyday life. The naturally learnt, often not from parents but older brothers and sisters who were doing it routinely as part if they everyday life to help the family.

Something we have long since lost.

Reactions: JFW and Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE