Making a leather pouch for a SAK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
My son got his first SAK and I'd promised I'd try a knife pouch for it. Following a thread on the forum on moulding leather I had a go.
3/4" plywood mould with the 3mm leather in place drying out.
case1a.jpg
[/IMG]

Bottom half of the mould with the leather dry and the knife (prised from its owner)
case1.jpg
[/IMG]

Some cutting, gluing and stitching done...
case2.jpg
[/IMG]

pretty much finished stitching and trimming. Waxed thread used and a belt loop (not shown)
case3.jpg
[/IMG]

dipped in beeswax and ready to be handed over...
case4.jpg
[/IMG]

It took about 15mins to make the mould and drying took about a day. Making the pouch then took an afternoon with several breaks for tea.

Next time, I'd smooth the mould a bit more and maybe line it with paper as it marked the leather a bit. I really need to make one of those holders for gripping the leather while stitching...and some gloves or tap[e to stop the thread cutting into fingers.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Thank you,
I used a stitch groover to make the channel for stiches to lie in, a small awl for the holes. I didnt use a pricking iron or wheel, but that would have been neater. The needles were ordinary blunt leather working needles, I forget the size. I'd encourage anyone to have a go, it's a small project and I was really pleased the way it turned out, check out Eric methvens threads on leatherwork, he inspired me to give it a go.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
That's really nice.

Got me thinking about making a pouch for my new binoculars. The one they came with is a bit micky-mouse.

Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
id love to have a crack of making something like that! have a nice SAK that bushwacker bob rehandled for me! could you post a pic of all the leather working tools you used??

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
tools.jpg

a stitch groover
popstud tool
beeswax
a small awl
glue to tack the bits together before sewing
needles
Pliers for pullling needles through

and a knife of course..

Thank you for the comments.. BCUK is the place for encouraging people to give these things a go!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
S orry I missed this one John :eek:

That's a really neat bit of kit you've made; and one very pleased son I imagine :cool:

cheers,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE