Looking for a wood treatment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I'm making a shephards crook from some dried wood I found recently. I love the texture and colours of the wood and want to keep that. I want to give the wood some protection but don't want to use a varnish.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

P

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pibb,

I'd suggest an oil finish. Mineral oil for a neutral finish, teak oil will darken it some, Danish Oil for a higher shine. All available from B&Q. Use my axe helve finishing technique to speed the process

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sorry Pib - its a weird thing I do (photos in the re-helving an axe pictorial somewhere).

Stretch a layer of cling film longer than the stick. On top of this put a slightly longer double layer of kitchen towel. Soak the kitchen towel in your oil of choice. Wrap the towel around the stick and the cling film round the towel. Forget the whole thing for a few days. The oil will raise the grain slightly so re-finish with wire wool and repeat. It'll feel like silk if you got it nice and smooth on the first sanding.

Its like an oil bath but only uses a small amount of oil

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Write it off Pib - I brew my own :D

Now if you happened to know a man who sold Rayburns cheap.............

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You want a Rayburn? Scrappy Mick is your man :cool: Shall I ask what's about?

How about old fashioned furniture polish from Beeswax and turpentine for the crook? It kind of mellows in nicely and it smells wonderful. If you rub it on and let the stick heat gently near a fire the wood will just soak the stuff up. Must admit I haven't tried the cling film idea though :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Actually Pib, if you would like to try Toddy's suggestion I make my own beeswax polish - I could post you a pot if you like?

Toddy - whereabouts is scrappy Mick? I'm after a small Rayburn with oven, couple of plates and flu attachment but no back boiler or plumbing stuff (its to go in an inglenook)

This kind of thing without the palte warmer top and silly side trivets

stanley_errigal_black_med.jpg

I suspect postage from Scotland might be over large envelope limits though!

Red

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Red since when is that a small Rayburn!:D

Nice idea Toddy thanks.

I'm actually creating the crook in two parts. The actual crook is made from some round bar that I squared off in the centre and then twisted. I then made put the relevant bends in it to make the crook shape.

The wood is from a dead and dried tree. I found whilst walking the dog. It has a drift wood shape to it along with a texture to match, however it seems very sturdy.

I like the sound of the bees wax and turpentine idea, ido you mix together before applying or apply seperately?

Pib

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pib, you warm the beeswax in a double boiler nad mix with (real) turpentine. You can mix in other oils (essential oils) if you wish to give a nice smell or different colours. Its a lot cheaper than buying it!

Red

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Ok, sounds good. I'll take some of your home made beeswax polish and give it ago. Let me know how much you want for it and we'll sort it out.

Cheers

Pib

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got 5 litres of real turpentine coming for just over £20 :cool: Always bought it in litres before but this time I asked how much the full container would cost and was astonished at how low the price worked out.

Scrappy Mick is based in the Central belt but he's known to travel as far as the Shetland's and as far south as London if there's a good deal to be had :rolleyes: How much work are you prepared to do the Rayburn? there's masses of kind of in need of tlc looking ones
around.

Myrica Gale (bog myrtle) or Cedarwood is nice in the beeswax polish though lavender or lemon is more traditional.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Toddy,

Really looking for one in pretty good nick to be honest mate, I have a lot on so time is more the problem. Fortunately I'm not in a rush. Trouble is I've never bought one before - always came with the house (based on they are too heavy to move I suspect).

Pib,

drop me a PM with your addy - no charge. I'm not sure what I ahve kicking about right now so it'll be pot luck I'm afraid - but it'll polish wood okay!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh Pib - that is a small Rayburn (actually its a Stanley)

This is a big one

rayburn_heatranger_200_med.jpg

:D

Gotta love a proper range!

Red

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Red, PM Sent sorry for the delay.

They do look great the Rayburns. I've heard stuff even tastes better/ different when it's come from a stove like that.

Pib

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No worries Pib,

Don't be frightened to remind me - the cottage is being ripped apart right now so it might take me a few days to find it :eek:.

Oh, solid fuel cookers are grand - great for things that like a slow, even heat (baking, roasting, stewing etc.). Many lack the patience for them these days and want fast zippy Halogen hobs etc. As a scruffy old country bloke you use whats in the cottage ;). I do like em - you can't dry your cap and socks on a Halogen hob :D. Or warm a lamb up (well you can but in a different way)

Red

No worries Pib,

Don't be frightened to remind me - the cottage is being ripped apart right now so it might take me a few days to find it :eek:.

Oh, solid fuel cookers are grand - great for things that like a slow, even heat (baking, roasting, stewing etc.). Many lack the patience for them these days and want fast zippy Halogen hobs etc. As a scruffy old country bloke you use whats in the cottage ;). I do like em - you can't dry your cap and socks on a Halogen hob :D. Or warm a lamb up (well you can but in a different way)

Red
I'm with you Red!

I was just about to post that your original piccy was a Stanley - but you beat me to it!

SWMBO and I are in the process of taking our 350 year old house "off grid" - well as much as we can anyway. Plans include a rainwater harvester and replacing the gas Aga with a solid fuel Rayburn. A wood burner with back boiler in the living room should take care of the rest of the CH/ hot water needs. Luckily there are two serviceable chimney flues in the house.

If the rainwater harvester works - the next step will be a septic tank & possibly a bore hole. After that - it's time to worry about electricity!

Apols Pibbleb for a slight hijack!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:D

Not completely off grid yet but we're moving towards a sort of "grid optional" status. There are advantages to me of keeping a landline phone line and mains electricity on tap . We are off grid now for water and drainage and predominantly heat by wood (although we do use oil for a frost watch when away). I have a small solar set up but we plan to obtain the "last house ever" soon and I'm holding off on a big installation until then. The big plan is to have enough land for a few beasts and a spot of woodland as well to coppice for fuel. Its a long term plan but the fun is in the dream

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE