Looking for a new hatchet...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Until I get around to finishing off the handle for a little hatchet I picked up at a rural fair the summer before last...

This will mainly be used for splitting down small logs. I have a couple of wedges and would get a maul if I find that my logs are too big. A small hatchet would be good for overnight or weekend camping and fishing trips, too.

I saw some Estwing hatchets in the local gardening and DIY shop this afternoon.

Single piece forged head and haft, stacked leather handle. Looked OK, though some of them had a badly shaped edge. By that, I mean that the curve of the line wasn't a smooth arc. I could sort that out, but I'm wondering about the quality of the steel and the HT.

I've read on here that in days of old, Estwings were too hard, with no differential temper to leave the haft springy (to absorb shocks); but that nowadays, they are left too soft all over...

Anyway, at $44, they are just about affordable. But are they worth the money for my sort of task?

Keith.

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Hi Keith, how's the new location? I've had an Eastwing hatchet for about 10 years, its quite good, a little soft but its got a good blade profile, don't need a lot of work to thin out the cutting edge like another hatchet I got, and it has a good weight to it.

Mines a leather handle one which reminds me Randall or Scagel knives. By the way, your other folder is nearly done, where should I send it?

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Shing said:
Hi Keith, how's the new location? I've had an Eastwing hatchet for about 10 years, its quite good, a little soft but its got a good blade profile, don't need a lot of work to thin out the cutting edge like another hatchet I got, and it has a good weight to it.

Mines a leather handle one which reminds me Randall or Scagel knives. By the way, your other folder is nearly done, where should I send it?

Hi, Shing.

Yes, that stacked leather handle reminded me of Scagel, or even Marble pattern scout knives. The head looked quite thin, I think it would be good for splitting down logs that have already been quarter-split.

As for my other folder, I should be back in Sunny Sheffield for my little brother's wedding on 18th December. I'll let you know more when I have the plane tickets booked. I might have a little trip down to Denby pottery and to Craft Supplies again ;)

Good luck with everything.
:You_Rock_

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE