Living in the Past, Iron age reality .

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Living in the Past was a fly on the wall documentary programme aired by the BBC in 1978 which followed a group of 15 young volunteers recreating an Iron Age settlement, where they sustained themselves for a year, equipped only with the tools, crops and livestock that would have been available in Britain in the 2nd Century BC.
Produced at BBC Bristol by John Percival for BBC Two it consisted of twelve fifty minute episodes airing from 23 February to 11 May 1978. [1]
A follow-up programme aired in the same year Living in the Present discovered what the participants had thought of the experiment and how they were adjusting back to modern day living.

anyone know where we can find the original series?

In 2008, BBC Four's What Happened Next revisited participants in the original series thirty years on from their year living together.

http://youtu.be/zRs-zRoBIc4

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I think Youtube is about it. I found some of them last year for the director of our Iron Age archeology project (digging our promontory fort). I couldn't find the whole series, tried emailing the BEEB but didn't get any sensible response. We followed the series when it first came out and I still remember bits of it. I've a couple of friends who work at the centre on Cranbourne Chase. If you'd like to speak with them, Fish, I can put you in touch ...

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That what happened next made me want to watch the original series as well. It also made me SO want to live like that for real, not a daft pipe dream live like that, proper live like that. The only modern thing they missed was wellys.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Knowing the BBC, they probably wiped the tapes as part of a cost cutting exercise. If the series still exists, then it would be best to contact BBC Bristol directly.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
This reminds me that when i was a young kid, there was a little iron age village near to where I lived. I vaguely remember actually visiting it inside once but was too young to really grasp much of what it was about. It ended up being burned down by arsonists son they abandoned working on it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I remember the series, I was just a kid but enjoyed it tremendously, I'd certainly buy the DVD if one ever became available.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE