leatherwork advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have done quite a bit of leatherwork before , but not for a while . I am wanting to make a leather bushcraft set , but there are a few things that i cant remember to do (must be my age!) . Firstly i cant work out how to lock the needles to the thread , and secondly i cant remember how to cross the thread inside the leather to knot it so it will never run . I use 2 needles in what i belive is called a "saddle stitch" .
The other thing is what to include in the set ? So far i intend to make a belt , possible pouch , sheath (with firesteel holder) and a leather water bottle . Any thing i have missed ?
Any help appreciated
Cheers
Pumbaa

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
First of all, to prevent the thread slipping off the needle.
Thread the needle as normal. Pull a good bit through. Unravel (by twisting against the lay of the thread) to open it up a bit and pass the needle through the gap in the strands. Pull the needle right through. Grab the end of the thread and pull it up so the bit where the needle pased through draws up tight to the eye of the needle. That way it can't slip out of the eye because it's locked with the needle going between the fibres.

Secondly to lock a stitch in saddle stitching.
Pass the first needle through the hole as normal. Pull the thread through and leave about two inches slack. Pass the secon needle though the same hole in the opposite direction after giving it a wrap around the first thread. That creates an overhand knot and when you pull both needles tight the overhand knot will be within the leather being stitched and will not slip. It only works if you've waxed your thread though.

Hope this is clear enough.

You could also make a leather cup or tankard from which to drink.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE