leathercraft pricking irons wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I don't have any surplus gill bit if it helps I got mine from here - I bought one to see what they were like then when I was happy it was what I wanted ordered more. They take a while to arrive but the service (and price) is great

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Are they not for cutting slots for thonging mate? - pricking irons normally have points don't they? - then again if they do the job........

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
After G4ghb's comments I had to try them for myself.................

1/8"
DSCF0149.jpg

3/32"
DSCF0150.jpg

hole made in 3mm veg tan.

Richard

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
works but not great is it? Is an interesting look though.....

Looking at your ling again it says buckstitch chisel, I guess buckstitch is another name for thonging - kinda like this stunning sheath

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
If Gill does not want them, and I stress Gill has first dibs as the offer was made to him and I will not tread ion his toes, and you haven't decided to keep them yourself I'd be interesting in trading with you

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I guess buckstitch is another name for thonging

Buckstitch is indeed a type of stitching which uses thong/lace.

The links look like thonging chisels and Black Sheep's pics look like they've been made with ... thonging chisels :rolleyes: .

Craftool do make Pricking Irons - but call them 'Craftool Diamond Hole Punches'. They're available as a single prong and in two different four prong versions (tines either 1/8" or 3/32" apart).
I use the 1/8" version - they work well, but be prepared to check and realign the tines as you're going when using on thicker leathers.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE