"Last Child In The Woods"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Anyone read this book? It has been a huge best seller in the U.S., and the subject matter strikes a chord with me, as I'm sure it will with lots of other members on here...

The American journalist Richard Louv has written Last Child in the Woods, a bestseller in the US, as a cri de cœur for our children (ie the cosseted young of the developed world). He has coined the term "nature deficit disorder" to describe how they no longer spend time alone, exploring nature. Louv passionately believes that this way of life can make a child less confident, less competent physically and mentally, sedentary and therefore often obese

(Above from the Guardian Review...http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/jul/11/last-child-woods-richard-louv)

On Amazon...http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Child-Woods-Children-Nature-Deficit/dp/1565125223/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250663363&sr=1-2

My 4 year old has been mucking about outside for the last few weeks thankfully, so not too worried about him! But like any kid he enjoys an hour or so of TV too.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Looks good, the guy has put into words what many of us have thought for a long time; I'll a copy.

Now if we can make education more challenging we might start turning out bright people from Schools again instead of dumb downed trainee chavs.

Yes looking forward to reading it too.
I think it's partly the litigious nature of society (especially in America) that is largely to blame. E.G. "You let my kid climb a tree and he fell out and broke his arm, so I'm going to you for every cent your worth!" This over protective attitude has actually damaged our kids. (Although we all have to use common sense in what we allow the children around us to do.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE