kodiak bears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I watched it a month or so ago. One of my old hunting partners and friends was attacked by a bear in Idaho and he was no slouch when it came to understanding bears and the wilderness. The bear actually followed him up a tree and drug him back to the ground and mauled him. As the bear walked away, another bear showed up, so the original bear fought the other bear for the bounty and then after driving bear #2 off, he vented on my half dead friend, almost killing him. Humans like to think that their fire power and brain makes them king of the hill, but the Bears usually have something to say about that bit of self pride that humans like to carry with them.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If you are interested in such things, Outdoor Life has some good articles:
http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/adventure/article/0,19912,1117013,00.html

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/hunting/article/0,19912,471417,00.html

There has been plenty written of bears learning that the sound of a rifle often means there is free lunch nearby. This is supposedly a particular problem where bears are not hunted much themselves.

Hey Wolf, at least the bears weren't attacking the hunters with the idea of eating them.
http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/adventure/article/0,19912,195349,00.html

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
wolf said:
anyone see the national geographic channel about the two hunters attacked by bears?apparently the bears were acting strangely throughout the season,due to lack of food,and when the hunters shot deers the bears attacked the men to get at the meat. :yikes: :eek: scarery stuff. :yikes:

I saw that one a while back as well. Interesting that the older hunter, who by fighting back - and doing exactly the opposite of the prevailing wisdom (which is playing dead) - was the one to survive.

I'm invited on a ten day canoe trip through brown bear country in central Alaska next August. I find myself more concerned about brown bears now - than I ever was when I lived up there.

PG

pierre girard said:
I saw that one a while back as well. Interesting that the older hunter, who by fighting back - and doing exactly the opposite of the prevailing wisdom (which is playing dead) - was the one to survive.

I'm invited on a ten day canoe trip through brown bear country in central Alaska next August. I find myself more concerned about brown bears now - than I ever was when I lived up there.

PG
is climate change affecting their behavior,ie the lack of berries,or is it the fisherman,or something else?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE