knife Q

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
is the mora knife a good starter knife??

09_1_b.JPG

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Quite a few people here like using the mora knives. I personally use a plastic handled mora when out and about, can't fault them really.

Ed

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
The mora knives are fine i use the high carbon steel type and purchase a few each year at the game faires.
I'm now looking at removing the plastic handle in an attempt to remove the blade to make my own knife. :)

M

Millbilly

elma said:
I'm now looking at removing the plastic handle in an attempt to remove the blade to make my own knife. :)

Ive also been thinking about something like this for a while now, but wouldnt know where to start. ( i suppose british blades would be as good a place as any :eek: )

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
A search would bring up lots of useful information on the knife. ;)

:)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Millbilly said:
Ive also been thinking about something like this for a while now, but wouldnt know where to start. ( i suppose british blades would be as good a place as any :eek: )

You can buy the knife blanks fairly cheaply so there's really no need to replace a handle. There is a nice tutorial here on making a scandi style knife from a blank.

As for the mora, you can spend a lot more money and get a lot fancier knife that won't cut nearly as well. Pretty amazing what you can do with a knife like that.

Aug 15, 2005
Dartmoor
Have made a few knives to date. A couple of nice ones for myself, from hand forged blades bought direct from the maker. I also have made a few working knives for friends and to learn on, using the mora carbon blades. They take and keep a good edge.

My only fault is that they are a little thin and flexible. But that does make for a light weight knife. I am always amazed at Mears' knife that to me weighs as much as a house brick. I carry tow good knives, one for woodcraft and one for food prep, and their combined weight including two sheaths is the same as a woodlore. Sorry Ray

Putting a lovely wooden handle on a Mora makes them into something quite special.

You can buy the blades for about £6 or so, don't trash your existing knife. I believe that the plastic handled ones have a shorter tang, so even if you get the old handle off, it might not be as good as ordering a new blade.

Do a search for mora blades, but I buy from www.brisa.fi (they will reply in English!) Loads of fun doing your own and worth a few quid in experiments.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Yeah, a while ago I posted a thread about how I found a military stainless (or laminated) Mora at a store in Nanaimo here for $12.99. When I first looked at it, I was like "Gawd, this handle is sh*t," but that's when I looked at the blade.

In all my 20 years, I have NEVER seen a knife in that price range with a blade finished as well as a Mora, or how perfectly balanced it is. I haven't gotten around to getting the Mora yet, but when I do, I just know I'll be impressed with it, especiall with a Scandi grind, which I've never had the chance to use yet.

Adam

M

Millbilly

Hoodoo said:
You can buy the knife blanks fairly cheaply so there's really no need to replace a handle. There is a nice tutorial here on making a scandi style knife from a blank.

As for the mora, you can spend a lot more money and get a lot fancier knife that won't cut nearly as well. Pretty amazing what you can do with a knife like that.

Dude, :You_Rock_ . Been looking for something step by step like that for a while, now.

Nice one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE