knife making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
I am getting some work done on the house and the builder has discovered an steel beam that will need to be removed.

Would the steel in a I beam be any use for knife or axe making?

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Your question got me thinking and Googling!

Mild steel turned into knife

Now, ok so the chap didn't use an I beam but you'll have more than enough to make your anvil so why not use a chunk and see what kind of knife it produces?
Maybe even add a little of the old Carburization to create a hardened surface?

Nothing ventured and all that and he seems to have had some success!

You could even post it as a progress check/tutorial on here so we can laugh...I mean follow your handy work!

Cheers

Dr O

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I wouldnt worry about it to much mate, Cromwell do 01 tool steel that is quite cheap in any thickness you could want!

Apr 11, 2007
Australia
Hi Guys,

Just wandering through the threads and came across this.

Sure you can make a knife out of any metal, but it is wise to find out what type of metal it is first.

If it's a high carbon steel then the knife can be made easily. If the metal is a low carbon steel then it can be used as a knife body and an edge can be forge welded on or used as part of a pattern welded blade.

Regards Charles

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
it was fine - the steel beam wasn't structural according to the engineer. The builder was just as worried about removing it.

Their best guess is that ours was the show house and the design changed around the bay window but they still had the steelwork for the original design so they put it in. After they knocked a few bricks away it was pretty obvious that it wasn't carrying any weight at all.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
There is a downloadable book in the download section:rolleyes: of this site which is about black smithing.

I seem to remember it has a section about making an anvil out of a section of railway track, popular in third worlds. May be of use with your beam!

Pib

I've made a few anvils from train rail. The advantage in making your own anvil, of course, is that you can make it to your specs. It took an afternoon to make a simple one with a torch and a grinder. I've one for adze blades and another for cup and fish tail slicks. For knives I have 2 metres upside down mounted in two wooden blocks. There is lots of flat surface.

Rail is heavy stuff, good steel and makes great anvils

As far as your beam is concerned check and see if it is mild steel with a spark test. Put your grinder to it. If the spark comes of and splits in three or four you can probably use it as an anvil. If it shoots singles it's mild.

http://www.caribooblades.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE