Kinneil Kerse Wildlife, Kelly Kettle and Geocaching

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Popped along to Kinneil Kerse, SSSI, special mudlfat/intertidal zone for birdlife. Over 18 different species spotted inc. many Geese and Grebe. Some very distinctive white/black winged large ducks/gse as well, Name ?

100_0932.jpg

Very accessable and close to the M9. The hide can be booked thru the Jupiter Centre in Grangemuth/Scottish Wildlife trust. I was just out and about although there were folk in the hide.Best to park up and follow the path clockwise, much evidence of Foxes or Mink/Otter. Deer are seen in the birch woods too.

100_0924.jpg

I was setting a geocache today, also one at Bethankie Bridge too. Nice warming cuppa and hot choc using the grass and twigs for the kelly kettle.:cool:

Was this a bird ?

100_0934.jpg

The Kinneil Kerse geocache location.

100_0926.jpg

Nick

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Barnacle Geese?
They have 'striped' sort of pattern.

Skull and bones..Do you mean are they avian or was a bird the killer?

It's a mammalian skeleton and birds who eat same on mainland usually digest a lot of the bones and regurgitate bony material in pellet form later.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Barnacle Geese?
They have 'striped' sort of pattern..

Aye, sounds like them.

Skull and bones..Do you mean are they avian or was a bird the killer?.It's a mammalian skeleton and birds who eat same on mainland usually digest a lot of the bones and regurgitate bony material in pellet form later.

I knew, form yesterday, that a bird of prey would eat the bones and pellet them, but there was few feathers, rotted away, but the skull is from a ?? Rabbit ? The other bones would be approx. rabbit sized.

Ta, Nick

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
The thing with Rabbit and birds is that only the larger bops will usually go for them and then only if it's an easy kill.
At that locus I could only see a female Peregrine or perhaps a Buzzard taking Rabbit.

Btw a Rabbit skull should hold c.28 teeth.

Tom.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE