Kelly Kettle bag question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
One of the orders this week was a Kelly Kettle bag.
Waxed canvas mainly but the leather base gives it better protection and the side strap can be changed to go over the top depending on how you want to carry it.

21c326b803bef8cb57ee8ecd88c59f7d.jpg

This was made for a Trekker size to fit extra kindling & food in but I've tested it here with my bigger Basecamp model.
02ce11c2bab8601a5e2d540b27bdac4c.jpg

b6b03b57c9e61c9b60228d8091ef9c54.jpg

There's a top leather flap to cover the kettle inside.
5fb4ce91684bf2ec08d5c8256b7b180a.jpg

One question, I could offer rucksack style straps as an option, but would you carry it on your bag?

Handcrafted bags and kit upcycled from leather, canvas and even rubber at http://www.ragsto.com

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I have the same Kelly Kettle.... and I either attach it to my rucksack or I carry it in my hand... but a shoulder strap works if I was going off into the woods for a brew rather than camping out.

You could make a version with a webbing stitched around it like you get on a MOLLE sack... it'd make it easier to attach to your existing gear.

Nice bag btw.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Depends how thin you have it.
You could double the thickness of your cord and it would still run freely through those eyelets.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
damn you make some nice stuff.

I've carried a kelly kettle on a bike and it is a right pain. If your bag had a couple of leather loops/patches (the sort that have a slit in them so you can thread something through), then it would be even more versatile, could be strapped to almost anything.

I use a Carradice saddlebag on my bike, which has similar patches on the outside, for strapping things on.

OK I could a second 'shoulder strap'. It will clip onto the top D ring and then clip onto to the base around 160 degrees from the first one.

and then some leather lashing squares like this?
attachment.php

Attachments

• backpack straps.jpg
    backpack straps.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 14
  • leather loops.jpg
    leather loops.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 93

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Very nice. I would prefer one with a simple fixed over the top strap for all-in-one transport to and from a vehicle as I cannot see myself carrying this separately on a hike into the woods.

Yes that what I was thinking, keep it simple and light as they are only ever carried from the canoe or car but, for the addition of only one more strap would anyone carry it on their back?
BTW finally getting chilly, -1 this morning, just in time for the Scout Leaders' hammock camp this weekend!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE