Keeping safe outdoors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Those of you that follow the outdoor press may have noticed the increased press coverage relating to various mountain accidents recently. Because of this it looks likely that in the coming months there will be a concerted effort from groups such as the BMC and MCofS to raise awareness of mountain safety and the general challenge of the outdoors.
Some of the media comment has been alarmist, ill informed and untrue however what is true is that there have been quite a few deaths, serious injuries and near misses over the winter.
Some of you maybe thinking 'what has this got to do with Bushcraft' but I know from reading the threads here that many go out in the hills and woods and often alone. I think it's worthwhile for everyone to consider what would happen if something goes wrong whilst you are out and about regardless of where you are.
The most likely themes of the the awareness campaign will be to ensure you are correctly kitted for the environment you intend to go into, have the correct skills to be there and most importantly (particularly if alone) let somebody know where you are going and when you intend to come back.
This may seem obvious perhaps but clearly in light of recent rescues not all are listening to this advice. The UK has (without being biased) an extremely professional and well organised SAR Organisation. Nowhere in the UK is more than one hrs flying time away from a SAR helicopter and the UK is also covered by a mix of rescue organisations that no matter where you are a rescuer will be on hand to assist. Often in as little time as just a few minutes from a distress call.
However if nobody knows where you are or where to look then any rescue is likely to be protracted if indeed successful. Whether using a route card or leaving a message with a trusted person try to be specific as possible. Particularly if your plans have changed the details are really important and may save your life.
It is extremely stressful for the Police and Team Leader to have to console a loved one who may have lost a loved one or is in limbo waiting for news. Consider also that rescue teams put themselves at considerable risk on callouts and pull out all stops to save life.

If you want to find out what it's like to be on a rescue team then this program is excellent viewing and highly recommended:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0071mxr

Thanks for reading my post, I hope I haven't come across as patronising or teaching people to suck eggs. Just a gentle reminder for folk to look after themselves. I write this post as a Mountain Rescue Team Leader who would hate to hear of a forum member coming to grief.

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Great post and a worthy reminder to us all.
I had an experience last week which brought this particular issue to light. I'd headed off for an overnighter by myself at my usual spot and its somewhere I feel comfortable and used to staying in. As such I told my other half where I was going and when I would return but nothing beyond that. Thankfully it was completely uneventful for me and I was fine and enjoyed a good night in the woods.
Meanwhile back home the local police had seen my car parked in an FC car park, sent a unit round to my parents house (no idea why, I haven't lived there for years :confused:) at 2.30am. Scared the 'bejeesus' out of them and needless to say caused a sleepless night. Got me thinking what would of happened if I had injured myself, I hadn't left a grid reference, route plan or set check point times. All stuff I'd routinely done when I was younger and is standard practice among DofE groups etc.
I think the point of this is its easy to become complacent and assume all will be well. We all know what they say about assumption eh?

Paul Kirtley did an interesting article on his blog on this subject, and includes a 'Personal Outdoor Plan' which I for one will be using in future especially on solo jaunts.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thanks for that - a very good reminder. And I agree about Paul Kirtley's plan ... even though I'm one of those awkerd cusses who says, 'Hey that looks good ...' and turns off from the original plan.

Something I feel I should learn though is about 1st Aid for oneself when out alone. I'm sure I remember seeing people on here who teach folk but I can't find the posts ... reminders would be useful :)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
For First Aid, its worth remembering that many companies will pay to have staff trained in first-aid, as there is a legal requirement (I think, although stand to be corrected) that companies over a certain size must have a certain percentage of staff trained in first aid. If you are employed in such a company, might be worth checking with your HR dept!

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
For First Aid, its worth remembering that many companies will pay to have staff trained in first-aid, as there is a legal requirement (I think, although stand to be corrected) that companies over a certain size must have a certain percentage of staff trained in first aid. If you are employed in such a company, might be worth checking with your HR dept!
The problem is that those courses are aimed at workplace scenarios where the emphasis is on keeping the caualty alive until the ambulance arrives 20 minutes later. For bushcrafting / camping / expeditions it's better to do a specific outdoor-orientated course in my opinion :)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The problem is that those courses are aimed at workplace scenarios where the emphasis is on keeping the caualty alive until the ambulance arrives 20 minutes later. For bushcrafting / camping / expeditions it's better to do a specific outdoor-orientated course in my opinion :)

Possibly. However, basic first-aid is basic first-aid. Burns, cuts, stuff in the eye, breaks - in this case a little knowledge is better than none! You can build on this for the more exotic stuff re expeditions to the depths of Borneo where a helo or an ambulance won't arrive in 20 minutes!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE