Is the MERLIN SLEEPING BAG anygood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey All,

While nosing through SASS's website looking at basha poles I came across this Merlin Sleeping bag.....it looks tiny and very light but claims to be able to go down to between freezing and 5 degrees.....

If you go to:

http://www.sasskit.co.uk/ Then click "Products", then scroll down to "Sleeping Bags and Accessories", then it's the middle one on the top line.

Has anyone got one or seen one? What do people think?

Cheers all.... :eek:):

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Its a snugpak 3 merlin

I have had one for many years, its a good little bag but!

there are lies, damn lies and then there are snugpaks extremely over optimistic temperature ratings.

as a synthetic spring/summer bag its good, but freezing NO WAY!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Cheers Stuart, I had worried that might be the case.... The Antarctic II claimed to go down to -50 and that kinda hinted at a bit of billy bull being talked.

Still, as you say a nice summer/spring bag or a great liner for extream cold.

Might still treat myself for Christmas.... :pack:

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Its a good bag but as a liner for another bag I would say or on its own at above+10c.
The extreme ratings bags get are to be taken with a pinch of salt and usually require you to be wearing clothing whilst in the bag and usually state you will not be warm but you will survive.
I have an Antarctica 2 and I wouldn't want to be in it at -50c!! maybe -15 or -20 at a push.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I'd say no - IMO they are cold and feel cold all the time. I have used various bags of similar ratings and and these were the worst - personaly I wouldn't waste my money on one.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I have the snugpak 6 -it's rated 5 degrees lower than the merlin, according to the makers. Packsize of both is tiny.

I find the snugpak 6 is absolutely fine (ie, you sleep all night and feel warm)to 5 degrees, in a tent (yeah, call me a wimp....) with just wearing baselayer, and no bag liner. Hardier souls than I might be ok to freezing with it.

So, extrapolating I guess the merlin is good to 10 degrees in similar conditions. You might find this a bit restricting.

There was a good link posted recently on manufacturers temp ratings.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Gary said:
I'd say no - IMO they are cold and feel cold all the time. I have used various bags of similar ratings and and these were the worst - personaly I wouldn't waste my money on one.
How would you rate them as a spring/summer bag.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Paganwolf said:
ok as a summer bag but there are cheaper available and they are just as good.
What bags are these and do they have the same tiny pack size?

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
CLEM said:
What bags are these and do they have the same tiny pack size?
Check this one, http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/ishop/853/shopscr379.html 35 quid and will do the job, ill have a search thru my links ive got a few here some where mate, I have seen one with an intergrated zip up mozzi hood for jungle us that looked good, ill have a go finding it again :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE