Inuit fire drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
I had a go at this earlier today and got a couple of heavily smoking embers. Unfortunately none formed into full coals as I think I made the baseboard too thick & the drill wasn't straight enough for a smooth run. I had to give up as it stared sleeting!
I don't think I'm too far off though, might have a go with some Chaga and a new drill next. Thanks to Atlatlman for such a great thread.

Keep having a go at it. It's easier than it looks once you have all the parts in the right size. Like you said make your board a bit smaller and straighten your spindle. Also round off the bottom of your spindle.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
After the kids went to bed tonight I had another go at this in the garage and got an ember! It wasn't the best ever but an ember nether the less.

As I thought the baseboard was too thick and I had to use the same spindle as I couldn't find a decent seasoned one. I cut a much better green one that will replace the current spindle when its dries out.

Next time I get out in the woods I'll try and get some pics of my set. Have to try and it with natural cordage too.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
After the kids went to bed tonight I had another go at this in the garage and got an ember! It wasn't the best ever but an ember nether the less.

As I thought the baseboard was too thick and I had to use the same spindle as I couldn't find a decent seasoned one. I cut a much better green one that will replace the current spindle when its dries out.

Next time I get out in the woods I'll try and get some pics of my set. Have to try and it with natural cordage too.

Well done bud. Funny thing is I tried it again a few days back and failed. Three times. lol Some times you only have to do something slightly different for a fail. Try doing it with two people like in the vid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE