Interesting New Opinel Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Just found details of this new 2005 model from Opinel called

F1577.jpg

Details are here:

OPINEL - COUTEAU DE JARDIN N°08

Same as the existing drop point model with Sandvik Inox 12C27 steel, 85mm blade, Beech handle which is uniquely profiled and includes a lanyard hole. They could almsot have called it the 'Bushcraft' judging by similar mods to normal Opi's here ;)

Price is good as ever, 9 EURO/£6 but postage cost is a bit dear, especially to UK. If I can find a local shop stocking them I will grab one to try out. I assume they will arrive in the UK sometime.

If you like foraging for fungi then the other new model will be of interest. Similar to there pruning knife but with wild boar bristle hair brush on the end. Good price too for what it is.17 EURO/ £11.

F1576.jpg

OPINEL - COUTEAU A CHAMPIGNON N°08

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Moonraker said:
Just found details of this new 2005 model from Opinel called

F1577.jpg

Details are here:

OPINEL - COUTEAU DE JARDIN N°08

Same as the existing drop point model with Sandvik Inox 12C27 steel, 85mm blade, Beech handle which is uniquely profiled and includes a lanyard hole. They could almsot have called it the 'Bushcraft' judging by similar mods to normal Opi's here ;)

Price is good as ever, 9 EURO/£6 but postage cost is a bit dear, especially to UK. If I can find a local shop stocking them I will grab one to try out. I assume they will arrive in the UK sometime.

The SICAC is coming up in Paris, 1 & 2 October 2005. Anybody coming over for the show could pick up a few Opinels (they's sold in BHV, Galleries Lafayette, and may of the knife shops.

Moonraker said:
If you like foraging for fungi then the other new model will be of interest. Similar to there pruning knife but with wild boar bristle hair brush on the end. Good price too for what it is.17 EURO/ £11.

F1576.jpg

OPINEL - COUTEAU A CHAMPIGNON N°08

Maserin, an Italian firm, has been making mushroom picker's knives with a brush for quite a while.
http://www.cutlerytogo.com/mascol.html
Often, these have centimetre and inch markings along the handle. The model sold by Attleborough has a folding brush.

Keith.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I'm not a big fan (any longer) of Opinel's. I've been through 3 of them in the past couple years, two were Number 7 carbon's, and one was a Number 8 stainless. Both had the "viroblock brevete" aka: twist-lock.

I even modified them. I sanded, shaped, and re-varnished the handles on them, making them more comfortable in my hand, and worked on the blades a bit.

My findings:

a) Maybe I'm stupid, but I found that they don't really hold any better of an edge than my Victorinox.

2) Even though I re-varnished the handles, they just didn't do me any good in wet weather. Damn handles swelled up, and even a 'Savoyard Knock" didn't do them any good.

3) Complete lack of tools for what I need. My primary outdoor time consists of mountaineering, and back-country skiing. Therefore, I need a tool that will slice my cucumber for lunch, as well as tighten my ski-bindings if they become loose.

4) The blade lock isn't all that great. Sure, it won't open up in my pocket, but I almost lost some fingers when the lock slipped!

On the plus side:

Jeezus Christ, they sharpen fast! Just a couple passes on my arkansas stone produced a very sharp edge.

The Yatagan blade shape does exactly what they say it does; excelling at deep cuts.

They're incredibly low-priced, I could buy 3 or more for the price of my SAK.

But hey, like I always say, just my $0.02!

A.

leon-1

I still like the opinel, it was one of my first lock knives and as far as being simple is concerned you don't get much better.

I am surprised that you had a problem with the lock, I never have.

I have had problems with swelling, but strip the varnish off and soak it in linseed or tung oil and work the blade and you will find it as probably one of the best pocket knives going (especially for the price of them :) .

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
addyb said:
2) Even though I re-varnished the handles, they just didn't do me any good in wet weather. Damn handles swelled up, and even a 'Savoyard Knock" didn't do them any good.
Regarding the swelling I would suggest a good treatment with oil as Leon suggests, rather than revarnishing. This also gives a better grip. JM over on the Outdoors-Magazine forum gives this tip:
A trick is to saturate the pivot point in a hard oil or a tung oil, after drying it in the sun, because when the wood there sucks wetness, it hardly lets the blade open.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Keith_Beef said:
Maserin, an Italian firm, has been making mushroom picker's knives with a brush for quite a while.
http://www.cutlerytogo.com/mascol.html
Often, these have centimetre and inch markings along the handle. The model sold by Attleborough has a folding brush.
I have one of the Maserin mushroom knives and it is a nice knife for the job. However the Opi is less than half the price and uses the 12C27 inox which I personally prefer over the 440C. Also my Maserin does not lock off which is another plus for the Opi version. I have never used the measuring marks which are rubbing off anyhow. Also I like the idea of a lanyard hole too. They both have the serrated spine which is very useful for cleaning Cep stems properly. If I didn't already have the Maserin I would be very tempted.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Simon,
Are these available outside of france yet? I have been using them since I was 9 years old, and with the excetion of the Superswede I have found little that will touch them, a true tribute to the KISS rule, the new one looks like a good bushcrafter. Carbon has its limitations, or you just need to give it a little more TLC.
Honing it! not a problem, Tescos sell a little set of crossed butchers steels for a couple of quid, 24 years as a chef you get to know what works day in day out, even on a variety of different steels (carbon, s30v,44oc, vg10, you name it I,ve treied it!).
Neil

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Hi Neil.

I am not sure on that I am afraid. I would reckon a good bet would be to talk to those nice guys at Axminster and see if they can get them. I am sure they will sell well in the UK, especially the really nice mushroom version too.

Alternatively I am happy to sort one for you. I would need to see if I can get them locally as postage even in France costs the same as the knife. pm if you are interested.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Moonraker said:
Hi Neil.

I am not sure on that I am afraid. I would reckon a good bet would be to talk to those nice guys at Axminster and see if they can get them. I am sure they will sell well in the UK, especially the really nice mushroom version too.

Alternatively I am happy to sort one for you. I would need to see if I can get them locally as postage even in France costs the same as the knife. pm if you are interested.
Hi Moonraker,

I have just purchased several of these knives from a knife dealer in Nice. He ordered them for me from Opinel and charged me 5 euros for getting them. He probably just added that on though! He didn't give me a discount for a bulk order, but they arrived quickly and without trouble.

I take it you've seen www.opinel.com ? All the dealers are shown on a map.
The knives are nice, but I feel very comfortable with my modded No.8.
For the price, you can't go wrong and Opinels have that traditional look and feel which I like.
Cheers, Julian.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Thanks for the info Julian. That is a good price for postage! I took a look on the Opinel web site but the nearest official stockist is 2 hours away in Toulouse. Since nearly every other shop around here sells at least a Opi No. 8 I am sure I can track some down locally. :)

What was the contact details for the shop in Nice?

Cheers

Simon

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Hi Simon,

Maybe I wasn't quite clear. I still had to go to the shop in Nice to collect them. He wanted 5 euros for doing a "special" order. I didn't mind though as I am close by.

There is no e-mail address but his phone number is 04 93 62 15 40. Coutellerie Notre Dame. It's the only one mentioned in Nice on the Opinel website.

I'm sure one of the knife shops in your area will be able to get them though.

Cheers, Julian.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
JM said:
that or courty's transport...

hey, you in Nice, me in Cagnes/Mer... meet one day?
Hi JM,

We can meet one day, but soon I'm leaving for a few weeks, but when I get back, I should be free. I'm in Menton.
PS, my French is only a petit peu!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE