I'm trying to find sites for Bushcraft in SE London/Kent Borders.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
I live in South East London on the Kent Surrey Border and am fascinated by all things related to Bushcraft.

In the past I have used some very isolated in infrequently used and hardly managed public woodland, or disappeared off into the New Forest for a few days, but I have never been comfortable making fires on public land so have always resorted to a hexamine stove, my trusty MSR Pocket Rocket or just had cold rations.

I'm keen to practice friction firelighting techniques, shelter making, bowl making and all the basic stuff, but would prefer not to engage in unathorised/'guerrilla' camping or do anything that might put landowners out.

BushcraftUK has plenty of details of companies like 'Natural-Pathways' and 'Bush Basics' which are relatively close to me, but money is tight and I would prefer not to have to shell out for a course every time I want to get outdoors for a few days.

I know of some beautiful areas of woodland around the Sevenoaks area but don't know how to find out who owns the land. Is BushcraftUK planning any kind of resource to identify friendly land owners or locations where Bushcraft can be practiced?

Does anyone know of any friendly landowners in the Warlingham, Biggin Hill, Tatsfield, Sevenoaks, Woldingham, Tonbridge area that I might approach for permission?

Any tips anyone? I'm sure Chief Seattle never had this much trouble…..

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey Matey, I think most Scout Campsites allow fires and will sometimes let non-scout members use them.

Or maybe you could think about starting up a South East Meet-up group?

I am lucky were I am that I have a little bit of woodland that I can camp and have small fires on in return for my tree felling and clearing (which I do anyway as I have commoners rights to collect firewood from there) and it's surrounded by miles and miles of MoD land that I can use for everything bushcrafty except camping and fires :D

Here's a link to Scoutnet where they list a lot of Scout camp sites, hope it's useful to you:

http://www.scoutnet.org.uk/camps/index.htm

Bam. :D

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
Hi P Wren,

Do you know Broadstone Warren Scout Campsite near Forest Row, East Sussex?
I think it is the location for the Ashdown meets, it is also one of the sites that Woodlore use for some of their courses.:cool:

Whereabouts in the Sevenoaks are these woods you are thinking of?
I work in that area for a tree surgery firm and know it quite well and know some of the landowners.
PM me with some locations and I'll see if I can help:)

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Mavers Blackberry Wood suggestion is a great idea . We stayed there Tuesday night we had my mates kids in tow and wanted somewhere we could teach them how to light and keep a fire going .You can buy sacks of wood but take your own tinder and kindling. They have good clean loos and showers and there is some beautiful countryside to explore. Im going back with my wife as im trying to convert her to bushcraft living and I think this place is ideal as you can cook on an open fire and chop a few logs up.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
bambodoggy said:
Hey Matey, I think most Scout Campsites allow fires and will sometimes let non-scout members use them.

Or maybe you could think about starting up a South East Meet-up group?

Bam. :D

Can someone give the lowdown on the organisation of other meetup groups? How would one get one started?

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
rich59 said:
Can someone give the lowdown on the organisation of other meetup groups? How would one get one started?

Just start a thread in the meet up section announcing that you are starting up a meet in XXXX place and then when you have enough people interested just set a date, book the camp site and then meet up on the day.....simple :D

Pm me if you want to know anything else but that#s all there is too it :)

Bam.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
bambodoggy said:
Just start a thread in the meet up section announcing that you are starting up a meet in XXXX place and then when you have enough people interested just set a date, book the camp site and then meet up on the day.....simple :D

Bam.

What sort of place? How long is a meet up? How many people is enough? What sort of cost is acceptable?

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
rich59 said:
What sort of place? How long is a meet up? How many people is enough? What sort of cost is acceptable?

Sorry Matey, only just seen your reply.... ;)

1) Any sort of place where you are allowed to camp and preferably have open fires, look up some camp sites or get to know a few landowners.
2) As long as you like, you're organising it but most run Friday evening to sunday lunchtime.
3) As it's a meet you need upwards of two people lol :p
4) Lower the better...campsite fee's are usually the only formal costs, then there's food and actually getting there.

Sorry, I know that's not a great amount of help but it's really and truely up to you how you run your meet ups. There are no hard and fast rules, just do what you want to do. If you have a place to where you go to camp and do bushcraft locally then just put a shout out when you're next going to see if a few people want to join you....hey presto, it's a meet up! :D

Cheers,

Bam. :)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
bambodoggy said:
Sorry Matey, only just seen your reply.... ;)

1) Any sort of place where you are allowed to camp and preferably have open fires, look up some camp sites or get to know a few landowners.
Bam. :)

Thanks Bam,

I did some searching and have now sent a message to the "Small Woods Association" to see if they can put me in touch with some landowners.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE