Im new and not sure where is best to go? Can anyone help please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 16, 2007
Hello everyone.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend anywhere for myself and two mates to go camping from the 9th to 13th November. We were thinking places like the lake district or the peaks but dont know whats out there. We want to try camping and a little basic bushcraft. Im new to this site and havent been camping for a while since i was a venture scout. I loved it then and cant stop watching Ray Mears and so we want to have a go. The trouble is that i dont know where to go. We also want nice lakes and walks etc and somewhere we can have a go at bushcraft. Does anyone have any ideas? We dont mind where it is as we are coming from london, nortampton and ipswich so we are all up for travelling a bit.

Thanks for any help people.
Simon B
Northampton

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If you are travelling all the way up from London, you might as well go a bit further north into Scotland. You'll have much better access for wild camping and bushcraft activities north of the border. The Lake District, while being beautiful, is a national park and as such, has lots of restrictions on what and where you can do stuff. There's plenty of lakes, but I don't know of many that would tolerate wild camping and open fires, even in November. Scotlan however has difference laws regarding access and wild camping. There's loads of posts already on here about camping in Scotland so use the search function and have a look around.
Welcome to BCUK by the way.

Eric

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Camp whereever you feel comfortable,
and have a good time with your mates, by all means try some of the skills you want to learn. Then, at another time, try getting along to one of the local meet-ups near you, there are always plenty of good folk willing to pass on a few skills and share experience.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
First welcome to the site.
Theres also a thread about 2 people from the forum who had a little adventure in Scotland, in scotland the law is whats my land is yours(in some way or another)
But watch the forestry comission theyre and angry bunch.
Again welcp,e and make sure to tell us how you get on.

Oct 21, 2007
Hello Simon,

I am one your merry men (as it were)!

Really looking forward to this expedition, I'm sure we will have an amazing time, I'm sooo excited!

We have decided to go to Wales:

http://www.glynymulfarm.co.uk/ (we will be using the Woodland Camping area... back to nature Ray Mears style with no amenities!).

Can anyone recommend a good cuisine to cook whilst in the wilds? We do have Army ration packs but I think some proper hearty cooking may be just the ticket too!

Regards,

Nick

Stupot

Oct 31, 2007
Harrogate
Hi, quite new to the forums and bushcraft. What are the laws in england on sleeping in public woods and other places in the countryside also regarding fires etc.? Thanks, any help much appreciated.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, welcome to all of the guys who've posted as new members in this thread. A lot of your questions will be answered if you do a search of the site with the search function up the top there. I realise you are new to the game, so for starters, England has some crummy laws when it comes to sleeping wild. You need landowners permission for fires and god knows what else, although this doesn't stop the majority of people. If you get caught out though, you take the blame squarely on your shoulders!

Speaking to your local scout camp may be a good idea, ask if you could use the site for a couple of quid per person per night when the scouts aren't on, and mention that you will tidy the place up a bit as am incentive to be allowed on. A bag full of rubbish poped in the bin will let them know you are serious about wanting to look after the area. Maybe also ask if they want some fire wood collecting or chopping, just make sure you collect downed wood and don't go chopping live trees up as they don't burn too well when green anyway!

As I say, search around, all of the questions you have and more will be i the site somewhere, and if you cannot find it, then would be a good time to ask it. Remeber, stay safe, have a plan and a backup plan, and a backup plan for the back up plan! Take a first aid kit and more importantly know how to use it, stay safe with sharp knives and enjoy yourselves!

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
if i where u and was travveling from london id fly london to glasgow then usea bus to get to loch lomond perhaps its quite close back to civilisation but with a wilderness feel.loch awe is good to

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE