ideas sought for making protective cover

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Called a kerosene lantern here. I had half a dozen antiques in my lakeside summer house. Dump out all the fuel into the stock bottle. I have a metal coffee can big enough to hold a 1/2 size of that design of lantern.
A reflector is essential to gain all the heat and light that would otherwise get piddled off into the wilderness.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
A hurricane lamp isn't something I would take on a hike, they're heavy, bulky & so many things can go wrong. If you want to go down the open flame route for light & you don't mind carrying extra weight, there are numerous tea candle lanterns on the market made for camping & they would be safe to use in a tent with ventilation.

In answer to your question though, if I was to transport one in a backpacking scenario I would wrap it in bubble wrap & card to protect the glass, then put it into a plastic bag of some kind. A metal or plastic container would just add more weight & bulk. I wouldn't want to strap it on the outside of a pack & there wouldn't be room inside, so I would just have to carry it.
If you have a PLCE bergen then I suppose one might fit into a side pouch.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
+1 to what Lean'n'mean has said.

What you could do though to make a more robust carrier, is to get hold of one of the cheapish closed cell foam mats and make a wrap from that for the lantern.

I made a tube bag (you can use the leg from an old pair of trousers, or sleeve from an old fleece for this) and I cut out a disc for the base to sit on inside, then I just cut and wrapped the foam around my tilley lamp and put it into the bag.
It works. You still need to be careful with it, and the foam doesn't like meths or other fuel poured on it much, but it's sound enough.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
A hurricane lamp isn't something I would take on a hike, they're heavy, bulky & so many things can go wrong. If you want to go down the open flame route for light & you don't mind carrying extra weight, there are numerous tea candle lanterns on the market made for camping & they would be safe to use in a tent with ventilation.

In answer to your question though, if I was to transport one in a backpacking scenario I would wrap it in bubble wrap & card to protect the glass, then put it into a plastic bag of some kind. A metal or plastic container would just add more weight & bulk. I wouldn't want to strap it on the outside of a pack & there wouldn't be room inside, so I would just have to carry it.
If you have a PLCE bergen then I suppose one might fit into a side pouch.
thank you

however i am a fan of using what one has got and paid for and no need to spend money known as fiat-currency on things that do the same job unless something is broken beyond repair or extreme-emergency whereby i cannot access the item i need for that particular emergency
+1 to what Lean'n'mean has said.

What you could do though to make a more robust carrier, is to get hold of one of the cheapish closed cell foam mats and make a wrap from that for the lantern.

I made a tube bag (you can use the leg from an old pair of trousers, or sleeve from an old fleece for this) and I cut out a disc for the base to sit on inside, then I just cut and wrapped the foam around my tilley lamp and put it into the bag.
It works. You still need to be careful with it, and the foam doesn't like meths or other fuel poured on it much, but it's sound enough.
thank you

are those closed-cell foam-mats the same as sports mats or am i thinking wrong...??

what glue would be best for the foam i.e. a contact-adhesive or cement, neoprene glue or other...??

i have a large amount of leather from a large settee also know as a sofa or couch about 3mm thick could that be glued to the foam for extra protection and would the same glue apply as mentioned above...??
Too much faff in carrying it,i would use a UCO candle instead,and they come with a cover.
thank you

as i said to @Lean'n'mean i already have the oil/kerosene hurricane lamps thereby there be no need to spend fiat-currency on stuff that do the same job unless broke beyond repair or extreme emergency whereby i cannot access for use for that extreme emergency

Last edited:

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
Called a kerosene lantern here. I had half a dozen antiques in my lakeside summer house. Dump out all the fuel into the stock bottle. I have a metal coffee can big enough to hold a 1/2 size of that design of lantern.
A reflector is essential to gain all the heat and light that would otherwise get piddled off into the wilderness.
thank you
"Dump out all the fuel into the stock bottle" makes perfect sense and goes without saying for most part

that has given me an idea to look out for cans that hopeful can be of suitable size

i have to make or buy a reflector/s for my stoves thereby will double up for lantern

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think sports mats are probably the same stuff. Thick springy dense foam stuff.
You can just use duck tape to make the tube part, or it sews up with a lace too. Glueing it is tidy, but unless you use something like wetsuit glue, which is expensive, I'd be careful of the joint.
Me ? belt and braces it, glue it and then tape or sew it.

I'm not long in from shopping. There were camping mats on sale for £2.99. That's enough for the lantern cover and a sit mat too :)

M

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
I think sports mats are probably the same stuff. Thick springy dense foam stuff.
You can just use duck tape to make the tube part, or it sews up with a lace too. Glueing it is tidy, but unless you use something like wetsuit glue, which is expensive, I'd be careful of the joint.
Me ? belt and braces it, glue it and then tape or sew it.

I'm not long in from shopping. There were camping mats on sale for £2.99. That's enough for the lantern cover and a sit mat too :)

M
thank you

can you remember is that deal in specific stores or various stores...??

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I bought a feurhand carry case to store mine in, with the intention of making a small box to transport it in if i ever needed to. I have seen people make a carry box and cut the round base at the bottom so the lantern sits in and doesn't move at all.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
I bought a feurhand carry case to store mine in, with the intention of making a small box to transport it in if i ever needed to. I have seen people make a carry box and cut the round base at the bottom so the lantern sits in and doesn't move at all.
thank you there are now two [2] viable options for me to ponder on :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE