Idea in progress for home made tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
As the title of this thread suggests, this is an idea in progress...

Tissue paper makes a good tinder when using with a firesteel/ sparkstick but I've always found it somewhat inconvenient to carry around. So, after a bit of experimenting, I've come up with this:

- Take a length of toilet tissue - maybe 15 sheets or so.

- Soak the lot in water then take the resulting mush and squash it down as tight and compact as it will go. This should expel most of the water.

- While squashing it down try to make it into as much of a square shape as possible. You'll need at least one flat side.

- Leave it on a window sill (inside) or airing cupboard to dry out for a few days.

- When it's thouroughly dry, place it in a plastic bag and take out with you.

- When you need tinder, unwrap the tissue brick and, holding the blade of your knife perpendicular to the flat side of the tissue brick, scrape up a good amount of tinder as you would when preparing birch bark for lighting with a spark.

- Scrape this tinder off the tissue brick and onto a dry surface (piece of dry bark, flat side of a large, dry split stick etc.) Basically anything that can be moved and added to your prepared fire.

- Use your firestick to drop a few sparks into the tinder.

- Once you have an ember, add more tinder (perhaps tinder that won't catch a spark but will take from an ember) and blow into a flame.

- use this flame to make your fire.

Don't touch the 'brick' with your fingers - the moisture from your sweat will soak into the tissue and prevent it catching from a spark. Just unwrap and expose the top part of the brick while holding it still inside the plastic bag. In the same manner as you may do when eating a chocolate bar etc.

You'll get several uses from a brick 30mm x 30mm x 50mm.

As I said, this is a work in progress - I've had very mixed results using this form of tinder. :rolleyes:

Perhaps if you fancy trying this out you would post up your results?

Thanks for reading :D

fireblade

Apr 15, 2007
England
i love that idea maybe u could add a bit of lighter fuild or something and it could be a very good easy to light survival tinder!

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
Great idea am going to try that . Do you think vaseline would assist? Another great tinder for firesteels is Kitchen roll. Have never failed to light a BBQ yet!:)

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I'm working on a variant of this tinder method that, if it works, may prove quite interesting ;)

I'll post up details of what I tried and the results, whether it's successfull or not :D

Watch this space.

Gailainne

Life Member
Switch

Interesting concept, I have access to a fluid which may work out quite well using your method.
I've made up a couple of batches using cotton wool, the first I absolutley soaked, rung out using rubber gloves (gives you some idea of the potency) and is air drying. The second I poured a small amount into a glass and them soaked it up with cotton wool till it was dry, again air drying.
The company chemist warned me it might be a fast burn, ie bang, so I shall try it in very small amounts lit with a taper, if its too violent, I have the option to dilute it with water to something more managable. Afterall what I'm looking for is something that will take a spark, and stay alight long enough to help start a fire.

Thank you for the light bulb moment :D , although the neighbours might not :rolleyes:

Stephen

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Suprisingly it did , put after a few fiddleing aboouts i relised u really need to crush the fire lighter to fine sawdust for it to disolve i use them all the time now instead of bying firelighter how bads that?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE