ID ? please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
Lovely specimen :)

Looks like a Parasol Mushroom (Lepiota procera)

I have just looked it up in Roger Phillips and it is a better looking specimen than the one in the book :35:

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Laurence Dell said:
I have just looked it up in Roger Phillips and it is a better looking specimen than the one in the book :35:

It has been pointed out :slap: That this fungi was found & photographed by
my partner Kirsteen not me :nono:

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Yep, that's definitely a parasol mushroom (Lepiota Procera) That's a great find. How tall was it? They can get to 12in sometimes. I've never seen them very big, that is really a great specimen.

Jake.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
yep parasol for sure.

there should be definite 'nipple' area :) to the top, getting flatter as the parasol 'opens' but still obvious. The scaly stem is another giveaway and the collar should be almost loose from the stem. They also usually grow in groups, I never seem to find just one. Badgers like them. I take it you photo'd this at the end of last summer?

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Thanks for the replies

Yes photo taken end of last summer (by my other half) in Tuscany I think is was growing in the shade of an Oak tree.
there were others nearby but no so photogenic. I don't think is was 12" but was getting close.

i was fairly sure it was a parasol mushroom but I have a reference book 1000 colour phtos to id fungi :banghead:
Lepiota Procera not included. I left well alone so hopefully ther will be lots more this year :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE