I want a knife, opinions please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Hi all

Figured someone on here might have an opinion :p

Looking to buy a quality bushcraft knife, as a once only purchase and would like some happy people here to tell me who should make it for me?

Lets aim for about £150 quid eh?

regards
Garry

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
if it's your first knife, buy a mora for under a tenner.
if not, i swear by my svord drop point, £45 from gary at bearclaw.
if it's custom work you want, have a look on the british blades site they will point you in the best direction.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
yeah sorry should have made that a bit clearer.

Its not my first knife, but I hope it will be my last :)
and yes the snob in me is demanding custom work lol I know I know ............can't help it :(

regards
Garry

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
in that case i definetly recommend british blades. there are a number of custom makers there who will be able to help you.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Razorstrop said:
yeah sorry should have made that a bit clearer.

Its not my first knife, but I hope it will be my last :)
and yes the snob in me is demanding custom work lol I know I know ............can't help it :(

regards
Garry

Cant go wrong with a Stewart Marsh - Love mine to bits, its replaced about 3 other knives I used to use for different activities. Often has some on Ebay but if you drop him a line you could discuss your preference for wood on the scales :)

Lemoneyewash

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2004
UK
Graham_S said:
in that case i definetly recommend british blades. there are a number of custom makers there who will be able to help you.

Ditto :)

£150 will buy you VERY nice custom 'Scandi' or full tang blade by a number of makers on BB ;)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Opinions are ten a penny. What you need to do is handle as many knives as possible and decide what works for you.

I tried dozens of knives in four different countries to find my perfect knife this summer.

A good place to start is at one of the moots where you can try knives used by a number of bushcrafters for your self.

Perhaps the North Moot for example.... ;)

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Bardster said:
Cant go wrong with a Stewart Marsh - Love mine to bits, its replaced about 3 other knives I used to use for different activities. Often has some on Ebay but if you drop him a line you could discuss your preference for wood on the scales :)

I have to echo that, I bought a Stewart Marsh knife a few months ago and I can't fault it!!! I'd recommend it to anyone!!

Dan

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I went for a couple of Stewart Marshs (couldn't decide on handle material :eek: )
Nice guy to deal with too :) They look a similar shape/size to Brian's Knife
The picture shows both knives, with the Frosts Mora I was using last week for comparison.

As far as I'm aware, the Bearclaw field knife has a long waiting list at the moment (and I like my toys NOW!)

As has been said - have a look on British Blades - there's a lot of good makers over there!

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
erm steve??
how come those babies didn't come out ot play on the course last week?
and I am still most impressed with Brians knife from Woodsmoke, perfect ergonomics and great balance point.

am torn between that and the Bearclaw Field Knife at the minute.
Decision time is getting near, and yes I agree I want my toys NOW as opposed to 12845 months time, I wish I had patience!

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Just to get you started, try an OPinel no 7, great for food prep and general cutting, it also strikes a great spark with a fire-steel, for carving and general woodcraft go for a Mora-Knife.
The tota lfor the three is less than £25, and will last you for many years, don't believe the bushcraft hype, you do not need a custom built, tv-named sponsosred, hand-built piece of kit. The important thing is you get out there and "do-it".
If your entire bushcraft kit starts to cost you more than £300 give me a PM, and see what you can save.
Neil

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Neil, I totally take on board what you are saying, but knives and gadgets I can't live without :( . However I would be very intrested in seeing your kit list with approx costs 1) cause I am nosey 2) cause i'm genuinely intrested and 3) its my birthday :)

leon-1

Garry, you want top notch work??
You want a custom knife???

I will echo that you can get a very nice knife made on BB, or you Could try Allan Blade, Gene Ingram, Stewart Marsh, Paul Baker, Bearclaw, Bison Bushcraft and the list goes on and on and on.

The best Custom Knife that you can get in my opinion is................

One you make yourself and yes I am totally serious.

1).If you go to a maker he will make you what he can supply, not neccesarily what you want.
2),When you make a knife yourself the handle is made for YOU and not anyone else, it is also made in the materials that you decide to make it from.
3).If you cannot make the blade that is no worry, there are literally hundreds of different blades out there that you can use, Lauri, Fallkniven, Puronvarsi, Helle, Frosts, Pedersen (Trond) and Brusletto to name a few.
4).Cost, you may have £150 to spend on a nice new knife, but for that cost you could make something awesome and that is totally unique (there are no identical copies of it and never will be).
5).The sheath can be any design you want in any materials you want.
6).In making it you have just added another string to your bow.

You would be amazed at what Neil1 can put together for £300 in the way of kit.:)

leon-1

This is what I am getting at, this is a good functional knife that fits my hand in all of the different cutting grips comfortably, it isn't quite finished yet, but it was about 6 hours actual work time over a weekend.

helle.JPG

You can do a lot with a little time and patience:)

leon-1 said:
Garry, you want top notch work??
You want a custom knife???

I will echo that you can get a very nice knife made on BB, or you Could try Allan Blade, Gene Ingram, Stewart Marsh, Paul Baker, Bearclaw, Bison Bushcraft and the list goes on and on and on.

The best Custom Knife that you can get in my opinion is................

One you make yourself and yes I am totally serious.

1).If you go to a maker he will make you what he can supply, not neccesarily what you want.
2),When you make a knife yourself the handle is made for YOU and not anyone else, it is also made in the materials that you decide to make it from.
3).If you cannot make the blade that is no worry, there are literally hundreds of different blades out there that you can use, Lauri, Fallkniven, Puronvarsi, Helle, Frosts, Pedersen (Trond) and Brusletto to name a few.
4).Cost, you may have £150 to spend on a nice new knife, but for that cost you could make something awesome and that is totally unique (there are no identical copies of it and never will be).
5).The sheath can be any design you want in any materials you want.
6).In making it you have just added another string to your bow.

You would be amazed at what Neil1 can put together for £300 in the way of kit.:)
I'd have to disagree with that in my experiance of custom makers over on BB. A good maker will make what the customer wants. If he can't, then he wont, simple as that really. He may suggest ideas to improve on your own thoughts which may be impractical, but at the end of the day, he will do what you want.

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Motorbike Man said:
I'd have to disagree with that in my experiance of custom makers over on BB. A good maker will make what the customer wants. If he can't, then he wont, simple as that really. He may suggest ideas to improve on your own thoughts which may be impractical, but at the end of the day, he will do what you want.

As i maker i echo this. If the maker does not have what you want there and then he will be able to make it.. If he ( like me) does not make blades himself, then he will likely have a list over his suppliers and will chose the one that can make what you want.

the best option is for you to make a design template of the blade shape and shaft ( stick or full tang)

As a maker i would then discuss options, iprovements and ideas until we are both happy, them commission the blade and be done with it.

You may have to wait a while, you maye not have the bladethere and then, but you will get a blade and knife that you have designed and that ou want.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE