How do you soften leather?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I've managed to get hold of a few square meters of 2.5mm veg tanned leather and fancy making a pair of moccasins. Only thing being, it seems a bit too hard for this. Is there any way of softening it a bit? :confused: :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
What is neatsfoot oil and where do i get some?

Also, has anybody made moccasins before? :)

Neatsfoot oil is a premium leather treatment and is often sold at rip-off prices in leather-goods shops, if you can find yourself an agricultural suppliers, the price will be a bit easier to cope with.
Leon 1 is reknowned for his moccasins, he did a write up not-so-long ago. There might even be a tutorial in the articles section.

ATB

Ogri the trog

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Neatsfoot oil is a premium leather treatment and is often sold at rip-off prices in leather-goods shops, if you can find yourself an agricultural suppliers, the price will be a bit easier to cope with.
Leon 1 is reknowned for his moccasins, he did a write up not-so-long ago. There might even be a tutorial in the articles section.

ATB

Ogri the trog

The tutorial doesnt show the pics :(

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Tarbolton is my home town and have resided in picturesque hamlet of Drongan for 20 odd years.:lmao: :lmao:

Turbowton....lol And now Drungun. It's ok, i'm originally from maybole :eek: now stay in Ayr :)

Gimme a PM sometime, Filcon is from ayr and Gumbob is from patna, both good guys to have a beer with and go to the bothies etc :)

Exbomz

Oct 19, 2004
East Sussex
Hi

Firslty I think you will find veg tan unsuitable for the whole moc - it just cannot be made soft enough (with gallons of neats foot) to mould to the shape of your foot.

This forum http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7082&highlight=moccasins+tutorial gave a tutorial and uses chrome tan deer - not the same as veg tan! You may use the veg tan as a sole to make them last longer.

Neats foot is obtained from boiling lower leg bones - try it and and you can see the oil float off. It is commonly available - outdoor shops, saddlers
http://www.leprevo.co.uk/aftercare.html,
http://traditionalmaterials.co.uk/html/leathertools.php
and I am sure elsewhere. It does soften and waterproof but not to make it suede soft which you need with a moc.

Try getting some thicker split or suede deer leather - they are the best modern leathers. If not, go for the real thing and get some braintan.

A word of warning, they do wear out, (if you are as heavy as me) and I have actually put some 'sand' colour rubber of the soles to make them last longer.

I will try and post a piccy of my current pair - if it works you can see how soft the leather is - the ankle wrapas are red deer and the main moc are fallow (if you can braintan, fallow butt is excellent and tough but you will find that out when you try to soften it :rolleyes:)

Hope photo works

Mocs.jpg

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try and give it a go with what I have anyway as it only cost me a bottle of something for 7 sq meters, lol ;) It came out of rhe old munitions factory in glasgow, apparently it was for lining the tracks that the carts were pushed along. At the end of the day if it doesnt work out i'll at least have the veg tanned stuff to use as a template.

The combined knowledge and helpfulness of people on here really astounds me at times, keep it up guys :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE