Homemade hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
As promised in this thread
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=300840&posted=1#post300840

Here are the photo's of the hammock.
SWMBO made this after we tested a couple of other hammocks out.
Its great, heavy but very comfortable. Very easy to get flat in it and no fear of falling out when i tried rolling over.
It took our combined weight when we sat in it as a chair.

It was set up when we took the dogs out for a walk and seemed to tick all the boxes apart from weight. From the initial testing we have a few mods in mind just to make it that bit better. Its going to get a proper testing next week when we go camping.

P4170001.jpg

P4170009.jpg

P4170014.jpg

Lin's (SWMBO) ability for making stuff never ceases to amaze me.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Nope just got a long sheet of suitable material from the shop, hemmed the edges, folded the ends over, sewed in an extra layer of the material where the tapes run, for support ( not really sure if this was nessesary).
The fold over the ends of the hamock to make a big hem ( for the tapes to go through) and sew it three times. Thread the climing tape through the ends.
It took her about 1/2 an hour in total to make and that was with me asking stupid questions all the time, so she prob could half that time.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
that's brilliant, did you consider adding a built in mossy net, looking at the design and build quality of the hammock, it should be a piece of cake for you misses, give her a rep point ;)

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
baggins Thats great, although,with that material, i think you might have difficulty in finding your way back to it in the dark when you get up for a pee

i use the bcuk mini torch hanging fron the tarp line ti illuminate my way home :cool:

that's brilliant, did you consider adding a built in mossy net, looking at the design and build quality of the hammock, it should be a piece of cake for you misses, give her a rep point ;)

We didnt consider one but it might be an option for the next :D

Heck, you even got a posing pouch out of it as well, or was that mini jimjams?

Eric

I didnt get a pouch out of it its for somebody on here.......who i will expect to own up:eek: to getting them when i finaly get down and deliver them.:cool:

I will pass on all your kind comments to Lin (SWMBO)
cheers
Greg

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Superb - does SWNBO have a pattern?

There used to be instructions for making a Thai hammock pretty similar to this in the tutorials section of the website but I couldn't find it just, having said that I could only display the first page of DIY projects so it may still be there!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE