Hi-Lux Surf ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
My cousin had a 2.4 and flogged it quick when he heard of the dodgy engine which is renknowned for cracked heads for the afore mentioned reason. The 3 l engines do not suffer this, so get a 3 litre. That's it' There's nothing else to worry about. Yes Jap car spares cost more, but you need a heck of a lot less of them! As an Aussie said recently (can't remember wher I heard it) - If youy want to go into the bush get a Land Rover or a Toyota. If you want to come back, get a Toyota! Cousin Dan's Smurf certainly goes anywhere-his only restriction is the tyres but still coped well with bonnet coveriung muddy puddles. A snorkel could have helped, but turning the engine over a few times spat out the water and then trotted along merrily. He also runs it on 50% veg oil and it loves it.

If i didn't like the early Jeep Cherokees (I'm talkin the about 95 year model) so much, I'd get one myself!. Saying that, my MX5 is pretty good off road in the dry....

ship

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2005
NE UK
the 2.4 surfs had a poorly designed head in the early 90,s, and were recalled in Japan, buy one with the new design head(and get proof) and you got a sound motor, had mine, 1990 2.4, almost 3 yr now and been bulletproof , sailed thro 1st MOT and needed rear dampers and exhaust for the 2nd MOT due to off road abuse, check out www.hiluxsurf.co.uk and you,ll find out all absolutely anything about surfs.

ship :)

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
not much help but i used to go rabbiting in a fiat tipo across fields and the only time i got stuck where i couldnt get it out was one winters morning in 4" of snow when i bellied it out with the front wheels in a ditch and not touching bottom. took 3 jet washes to get it cleaned up the wife was not amused but just goes to show that skill has a lot more to do with off roading than 4wd depending on terrain

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Ogri the trog said:
I have no experience of the Surf, but I can tell you that I killed my Isuzu Troopers off-road ability by fitting cheap tyres. With the right ones on, it can go virtually anywhere. Whatever you get, check that any spotlights or towing hitch will not interfere with the ground clearance, though sump and diff bash plates are a good idea. Driving off-road is not all mud and spray, and driving inapropriately can get you stuck anywhere.
I would have recommended a Trooper as mine has 180K miles on it and is still going strong - my neighbor has had his for 2 years and its spent more time being repaired than it has on the road.

All the best

Ogri the trog

My first 4x4 was an Isuzu Trooper and I took it off road and got it stuck regularly, so I bought some mud tyres for the off roading and it still got stuck. It is too heavy and not enough ground clearance with all those skid plates under it. I really got into off roading so I bought a Suzuki sj 410 and got an axle over convertion, 31" mud tyres, etc etc and it went just about everywhere. After the Isuzu I bought (as a main car) a Mitsubishi Shogun with rear diff lock, but with standard tyres. I once saw a Disco stuck in a field beside the road,(wet field) and I went to help........I got stuck too (embarassing). Tyres and weight are the main consideration when off roading.........I speak for driving on heavy wet clay that is the gound conditions round my way...............Jon
I do have to say that the Trooper is a superb motor, though the chassis is very weak, mine tore in half by towing a heavy load.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Ouch !
Well I'm still dithering, I fancy a new toy, but better sell the MG before i get one. I did look at a hafflinger, that was for sale localy through ebay - but it got to STUPID money for a toy. Still - one of the very best off roaders IMO, and about as light as you can get.
Thankyou all for your advice.
Rich

richardw

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2005
Kent
Roving Rich said:
Ouch !
Well I'm still dithering, I fancy a new toy, but better sell the MG before i get one. I did look at a hafflinger, that was for sale localy through ebay - but it got to STUPID money for a toy. Still - one of the very best off roaders IMO, and about as light as you can get.
Thankyou all for your advice.
Rich

Now you're talking Rich!

The haflinger is a brilliant off road vehicle and if you are talking about those you have to think about the vehicle that has been my dream vehicle for the past 30 years (if only I could afford one) - the Unimog

http://www.europatruck-trial.com/Site-Neu/Bildergalerie/bildergallerie_l3.php

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE