Hey you knife people

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Found this alder in the forest the other day. Haven't cut it yet, but I will if someone is willing to make a trade.

wierd.JPG

Looks like there is the potential for a lot of knife-handles there. Now, I ain't interested in making knives myself, but maybe someone is and would consider digging up some fine english flint for it. ;)

Here is another one, for those who can't see the first.

wierd.JPG

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
I can't see the pic. Can you post another one mate as i would be very interested. And i have a massive block of good english flint that is sitting doing nothing. :D

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
I dunno to be honest. As i said i only need a small piece. A small knife handle is all i need as i will be making my first knife soon.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Name your dimentions and the part of it you want. Direction etc... Keep in mind that this piece is fresh and may check and will definately shrink, so you will need a bigger piece than you think. But please ask people who knows more about this than me.

I would like 1/2kg core of flint for it if you can provide it. But please do not send it at once, I will cut down the piece tomorrow and see if it is any good first.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I cut it today. Have you figured out how much you want? I think the whole piece weighs about 10kg so the postage may become a little excessive, but if you want I can seal up the piece with some glue on the ends and ship the whole piece to you. You could then distribute it to whoever you want.

What do you think?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Stew said:
I presume you cut it green. It'll need to dry out for a while (possibly years) before it's usable for a knife handle.

Jeez, well I'll come back to you in a few years then. :eek:

Bushcraft4life, I have seen some dead and dry elm (Ulmus glabra) in the woods close by. I will try to find a special section of that wood if you think that would be an acceptable replacement. Hang on there...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE