Hennessy hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I am have been looking at these recently.
Can anyone tell me if they can also be used as a tent / bivvy if it is attached to walking poles or similar? I seem to think that I have seen this done somewhere.
Were I to buy one then I would want it to be useful in woods and on a tree-less beach.
If it is possible to rig one as I want, does it apply to all models and if not then which would be the best to buy?
Thanks in advance

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have seen a picture of what was alledged to be a Hennessy used as a tent. I am dubious about how well it would work, but that is an unfounded gut feeling.

I have an Expedition Asym and will give it a try in a few days, its something that comes up every so often.

The fly sheets can be used alone, but aren't a very good shape for setting up as a basha. I would think that the Hex-fly would work pretty well alone as an oversize basha/tarp shelter.

Lets have a race...who can get pictures up first showing the successful use, or otherwise, of a Hennessy as a tent sans trees :eek:):

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I used an ultralight model for a two month trek across turkey, if you pack some extra paracord it would be possible to build a hootchie using the flysheet using two walking poles.

It would probably be possible to use the hammock section resting on a karrimat to keep insects off etc. too.

I have heard that someone dispensed with the original fly and replaced it with the aussie hootchie.

For my part, I found the Hennessy very comfortable, especially with some of the rocky terrain I found myself sleeping on, that said I've since sold it and now just use a hootchie.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I would think that the Hex-fly would work pretty well alone as an oversize basha/tarp shelter.
Hennessy are doing a christmas offer where you get a hex-fly as a freebie with any hammock purchased ;-) Check out their website.

oh.... and they are ok as tents with a sleeping mat under them, but it can be a bit unstable if your poles are not firmly set in the ground..... Not great, but it does the job.

:)
Ed

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Thanks for the advice guys :)
I see there are a variety of models available, so the next question is which one to get :?:
In any case it looks like being the New Year before anything gets done thanks to the intervention of Christmas, but thanks for helping me spend yet more money :roll:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
:super: :biggthump
I had been on the Sgt Rock site, but has somehow missed this page :banghead:. Great stuff!!

Errr...Success is its own reward :wink: :nana: Sorry, no prize. Just warm yourself with the thought you aren't being subjected to British weather at Christmas :rolmao:

Beachlover, are you going to be able to make it to any of the meet ups? It would be good for you to be able to try a Hennessy before going buying one. You might decide you like another sort altogether. There are some other threads around on hammocks here, that HikingHQ site has good info too.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Beachlover-
I have the Explorer Ultralight, which is a great hammock- The toughest thing with hammocks, as I'm sure you know, is keeping warm from the bottom half. I tried various things and eventually forked out my pocket money to buy the hammock underquilt from www.jacksrbetter.com

If I were to buy or make another hammock, it would be a Speers hammock, as you have a detachable mozzie net and a bigger fly (And if you make your own you can customise it however you want). Cheaper too! You could either look at the DIY Speers type hammocks on www.imrisk.com or get one of the kits from Speers, which are about $60US (if you don't want the rainfly with it- As it seems that everyone here owns a Hootchie!)
These hammocks are easier to keep warm as you can zip a rectangular bag around the whole thing if u want!
www.speerhammocks.com
If you do get a Hennessy, all models apart from the Explorer and Safari can be fitted with the new 'undercover' which keeps u warm.
Wow. what a long ramble I just made....

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
'on patrol' ........ wot, no trees????????????

Just had this image sent back from Afghanistan..............thought that it would of interest to you guys.

Cheers.

Jack.

hammock1.jpg

To see full size image (2mb file size) click here

J

Jamie

MartiniDave said:
Nice one Jack!
I think I'd want both sets of keys for those motors in my pocket thought! :D

Dave

You have a very good point there...I wonder if it is an officers hammock?????????? :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes: :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE