Help! Giant mutant broken person needs rucksack advice!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr Cissey

Nov 2, 2004
Brighton
I'm six foot three (metric dunno!) with a long back (my 58 pattern webbing used to compress my ribs!),big neck and broad shoulders. I've also got a longstanding lower back and neck problem (did I hear the sounds of bones breaking?) which is why I've finally had to retire my Cyclops Crusader (sob!). My problem is I can't get a rucksack to fit me - hip belt as waist belt; bizarre internal frames which dig into the base of my neck (thanks Lowe Alpine); or shoulder straps which seem to be intent on cutting off the blood flow to my head.
I'd prefer one in subdued colours without too many zips (all that extra weight), or strap-itis and not one where the top of the load is higher than my head. Capacity? 70-80 litres.
I know I'm being rather difficult but I'm sure someone out there has some idea of what's available. Any help gratefully received, thanks.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I'm surpised you couldn't find a Lowe Alpine sack to fit, I'm 6' and with the APS at the longest setting my Crossbow Alpamayo 75+20 will happily dangle round my ample backside. I can also recall that a long backed PLCE bergan would push my beltkit down even when fully hitched up.

Mr Cissey

Nov 2, 2004
Brighton
The problem with the Lowe Alpine was the narrowness of the gap between the shoulder straps at the top and the top of the internal stays which pressed into my neck (not a good idea with fused joints and prolapsed discs). The length was OK.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Ahh, I love Lowe Alpine load carrying kit, although if or rather when I get around to replacing the Alpamayo I will probably be looking for something that takes PLCE sidepockets.

Looking again at your requirements, maybe you want to have a look around for an external frame model?

I'm no expert in that direction I'm afraid.

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
Hi Mr Cissey,

I know this is a blatant plug, but have you seen the black Karrimor Sabre 60/100 litre rucsack I am selling in the classified section? It's got a semi external frame set up with extremely well padded cushioning that stands out quite proud from the back of the sack and is very adjustable, sliding up and down on runners to get the right position. The padded shoulder straps are quite wide as well, unlike the Vulcans and Crusaders, so less likely to cut into you with a heavy load. I haven't got a picture unfortunately but I'm sure that one would come up if you did a search on Google or something.

Give me a shout if you want any more info.

Good luck

Joe.

Carpe_Diem

Jan 9, 2004
Australia
Try this link. This company make some fantastic packs which we've recently been issued with in Auscam for trial. The carry system is one of the best i've come across, no bells and whistles, clean design and easily able to 40+ kgs.

They are the biggest competitor to Macpac in Aus, but i dont know if they're available in the UK.

A mate of mine is about 6'4 and his Large with Alpha L shoulder straps and Beta L hipbelt fit him perfectly with a little give left in the length adjustment.

www.wildequipment.com.au

Also, i dont know if their Olive Drab or Auscam colours are available commercially. As i said earlier, we've only just been issued these packs to trial.

regards
Jeelan

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I was going to suggest the Long backed version of the PLCE Infantry Bergan but I think you've already ruled that out....

I don't know about the newer Karrimor sacs but the older ones had a "Paralux Suspention system" on them and the alloy bars could be bent to fit the back perfectly and then held well away from the top of the back (partly for comfort, partly to transfer the load to the hips and partly to reduce sweaty back problems) by the support straps from the top of the sac to about shoulder level on the shoulder straps...does that make sence?

May or may be useful but all I can thin of off hand Mate! Good luck! :eek:):

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Joe said:
Hi Mr Cissey,

I know this is a blatant plug, but have you seen the black Karrimor Sabre 60/100 litre rucsack I am selling in the classified section? It's got a semi external frame set up with extremely well padded cushioning that stands out quite proud from the back of the sack and is very adjustable, sliding up and down on runners to get the right position. The padded shoulder straps are quite wide as well, unlike the Vulcans and Crusaders, so less likely to cut into you with a heavy load. I haven't got a picture unfortunately (...)

Maybe this will help mate: 2 pictures of my green Sabre 60/100 (front & back) :wink:

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
You talked about finding a pack without too many zips to cut down on weight, becuase of your bad back.
Have you done a search on ultralight camping gear? it might help out your back a bit, and there are sites around which have instructions for sewing your own gear too.
I use a golite gust- a 60 litre top loading pack which weighs 570 grams. The fabric is a green ripstop, which has proved suprisingly hard wearing- even when scraping through the fire hardened sticks of the post-bushfire areas.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Personally I find rucksacs a little like foot wear, what suits one person does not suit another (which is why I find so many outdoor shops return policies so irritating!). I prefer the ancient A-frame rucksacs as they tend to fit into the small of my back comfortably (I'm 6' and suffer with a curvature of the spine), they do not rise above the neck, (giving me alot of freedom of movement for my neck and less chance of getting hit in the back of the head by a branch in woods), like everything, there are disadvantages too, it has a low centre of gravity so if you overfill it, it will pull you backwards. I do not find this too problematic as I do not over fill them, put heavier stuff close to the body, sleeping equipment (blanket, cheap sleeping bag, bivibag, and thermarest) slung either on top or underneath.

Greg

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Go for an external frame pack! I have good experiences with the big scandinavian ones. Haglöfs Alaska or Norröna external fr.
Don´t care about the weight, if you are a giant you need to relief the weight constantly of the middle back. So: a tough frame. If you need 70 - 80 l, leave it empty. Give it a try

leon-1

It may be worth talking to Viking about the Swedish Issue 70L pack, they are external frame, as they are military it should be pretty much bomb proof, but he will be able to give you more information as to the harness and waist belt :wink:

Jan 17, 2005
USA
I also have a long torso. I first carried very heavy loads and a large external frame. After some experiments I went to a flexible synthetic external frame that I cut down at the top, then added my old nylon pack. I reattached shoulder straps to fit my neck and shoulders as well. This modification moved the top of the pack to just above my shoulders rather than high over my head. With the flexible frame, it also worked well when hiking broken ground. But I wondered about all that weight compressing my spine over time, and my trips couldn't be described as all that comfortable when loaded down so heavily.

Then I went to a 45L frameless rucksack with padded waist belt. The ruck poked above my shoulders and the waist belt was too high, so I removed and relocated the shoulder straps to the top of the pack. I also widened the gap between the shoulder straps to fit my neck better. This changed effective torso length from perhaps 18 to 23 inches. That worked fine, and moved the center of gravity lower as well as allowing me to wear a hat without it being tipped off by the back of the ruck, since the top of the ruck was now level with my shoulders.

Today I often use a 35L frameless ruck with no waist belt at all. By keeping the pack so small and loads light I enjoy backpacking much more and my back feels a lot better as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE