Help - flummoxed by a can opener!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
SWMBO dug up a (allegedly) german army cutlery set the other day. We tried to open a can of tuna with it to no avail.

... she has a PhD!

I know I risk considerable shame admitting this but I have no idea how it's sposed to work either - is it a lefty set?

Same as this picture from google images.

Now before you say it we weren't using the spoon:eek:

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
How far did you get? I'm assuming you stick the "stabby" bit in and lever upward and shuffle it forward, repeating the action. No joy?

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
If it's anything like a P38 "John Wayne" can opener, then you might try shuffling it backward. The blade cuts as opposed to taking bites/chunks out of the can.

Even so, nothing beats a Victorinox SAK can opener. It leaves my P38 in the dust.

Adam

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
If my memory serves me right. you need to

stab the longest of the two points into the edge of the lid.
Work it into the slit.
Use the the facing edge of the other point.
Lift and push forwards, whilst rotating the tin.

Once you suss it, you'll realise they are quite dependable.

Still I prefer the UK issue flappy tin openers, much smaller and easier to use(when the weather is warm)

Aside of this, just carefully butcher the tin to reveal your contents.

Good luck

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
personally i prefer a wenger/leatherman design can opener, you get to pull rather than push, which is a more natural, and therefore more effective way of opening a can IMO...can of worms anyone?

but that's neither here nor there re the german cutlery.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Ah right - we didn't get as far as stabbing it - I tried pressing really hard using it left handed like the can opener on an SAK but it was hard work and didn't feel right - it makes sense now. Cheers fellas.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Your wife has a PhD, but in what domain? My alma mater didn't give out doctorates in opening cans...

This is something that you should have learned as a small child, if you're over 35. At least, I did. My grandmother only ever used this sort of thing, until the arthritis got too much, and she went to some peculiar contraption with about twenty moving parts that would work well for about five cans before the teeth on the gears would grind off...

K.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I've just had a couple of the P51 type can openers the bigger version of the "baby can openers" from BCB and I have to say I was disappointed that I had to put an edge on them before I could use them
Dave

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
redcollective said:
SWMBO dug up a (allegedly) german army cutlery set the other day. We tried to open a can of tuna with it to no avail.

... she has a PhD!

Don't forget that a PhD means she knows a lot about a little. :p

I assume that her doctorate wasn't in opening tins. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE