Hello

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Just thought I'd say hi to all as I've been lurking for a while and finally registered the other day.

I'm stuck in suburbia (border of Kent and London) and have always had a love of the outdoors. This love of the outdoors led to hiking and then climbing which meant weekends away camping. I've grown tired of the campsite life (and the extortionate fees some of them charge) and have started falling back on the few skills that I'd learned over the years. After a few searches on the net this site was always at the top of the results and it's a positive goldmine of useful information.

Not been out and about for the last year and am itching to get out soon, so much so that I'm already planning a 2 week break to "practice" any new skills i can pick up. I'm also looking for people that are relatively local that can give me any pointers.

Great Site
Neil :)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Neil,

Great to hear from you. There are a few of us in SE London area. Where abouts are you more precisely? I am in Sydenham/ Dulwich borders.

I get my escapes from London through events that happen through this site.

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Thanks for the welcome folks. :)

Rich, I'm wedged between Orpington and Bromley in Farnborough ("no not the one in Hampshire" is the standard disclaimer there). I noticed the thread about the Kent meets but it was quite an old one, so i'll keep an eye out.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Welcome Twoflower,

I'm sure a couple of meets can be arranged for a pocket full of Rhinu!

Call me Rincewind ;)

Red

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Welcome Twoflower :)

I'm learning archery in Bromley and live in Blackheath - close enough to
Greenwich that I can sometimes get the boat to work if I time it right.

In a few weeks I'm attending a weekend course in Cumbria and am hoping
that it might get me a bit more comfortable outdoors - I'm strictly armchair
at present :D

Didn't know there was another Farnborough although it shouldn't surprise
me as there are two Bromleys in London that I know of!

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ah! so I'm not alone in savouring Mr. Pratchett's scribblings! :lmao:
Sorry,getting carried away a bit there! I have also hovered for donkey's ages, but only recently registered, your right though it is a mine, not only of information but in all honesty; inspiration.
Welcome again
Rancid Badger

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Always good to see other Pratchett fans and even better to see that i'm not the only city dweller who'd rather be in the woods.

Jodie, as soon as I know how much the archery course for September is going to cost at Bromley college I'm going to sign up for it. I'm already comfortable with the outdoors but have considered doing a bushcraft course. Only thing that is stopping me is the cost (yup, i'm skint and tight!).

Once again, thanks for the warm welcome .. I would jump into the forums but it's blindingly obvious that my knowledge is lacking! :)

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Twoflower said:
Once again, thanks for the warm welcome .. I would jump into the forums but it's blindingly obvious that my knowledge is lacking! :)
Heh, I thought that would stop me too, but as you can see it hasn't :D

The Bromley course is currently £30something for the ten week beginners'
course (on Thurs evenings) and double that for the advanced course which
runs later on Thurs or on Sats (and is two hours). Most of these courses are
subsidised, by the government I think, but the college has lost some of its
funding so the prices are going to go up. Probably the same in many colleges.

Personally I thought they had underpriced them as it's a very good deal. So now
would be the time to book one possibly. Even if the course is more expensive
when we get to September they might give it to you at the current rate if you
book now.

There must be funding available from somewhere (yes I am wondering out loud!)
for doing a bushcraft course...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE