Handle care

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 18, 2004
London
Made a bit of a "schoolboy error" in cleaning the blade of my Karesuando Räven - whilst boiling water cleared dirt and glue off the blade it's also taken some of the finish off the birch handle, leaving it rough and washed-out looking.

There's endless resources available about blade care but not a whole lot about HANDLE care.

Anyone know how to restore the finish to a birch handle, and any tips on oils or waxes that work well on a knifehandle (and make it water resistant!!!).

This is 1 of my fave knives in my Scandi collection, so any tips would be appreciated :D

J

Josey Wales

Get some wire-wool and dip in a mixture of 2 parts meths or turpentine, and one part linseed oil. Then rub the handle and remember to GO WITH THE GRAIN! - or else you'll scratch it :rolleyes: . If the handle is very rough then use some very fine sand-paper first. This should give a nice smooth finish.

Cheers,

J

Josey Wales

(forgot to say) you'll never get it really water-proof unless you varnish it which is a NONO because you can get blisters.

However do not dispair because the method which I told you is very simple and easy to do.

"Do you do it yourself" - Do I hear you cry?

"Every time I sharpen my knife and the handle get's wet" I must reply!!!!!

Cheers,

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
I have refurbished many a handle. It would help a lot if you knew what oil was used first on the shaft.

if not this is my method.:

Sand back to say 600-800 paper and then up to round 12-1500.

once this is done take a soft cloth and dry all the dusu off.

Then use the oil of your choice.. i use junkers rustic and terps but whatever you want really.

I doubt that the knife has had a full saturating treatment , this can take time so you have a few choices.

Fix the knife blade first so you have access to the whole shaft and then use wither a cloth or some cotton wool and apply oil wet on wet until it takes no more, this can take from a few minutes to hours depending on the way the shaft was oiled before.

or you can dip treat it with a glass of oil, leave the knife in for a while, take it out.let it drip, then inn again.. do this a few times, let it dry for a week then buff.

You can wax ontop of the oil when dry...

get any trouble then send it to me.... i'll do if for you.. just cost post and return.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE