Grand Designs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've just watched Grand designs on Ch 4. Bloke built an oak framed house with straw bale infill and what a brilliant job he made of it. On Grand Designs Trade Secrets immediately afterwards on More 4 was a bit on chainsaw carving.

I feel inspired to get the chainsaw out and make something. Maybe I will do tomorrow.

Eric

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Don't get More4, but did see Grand Designs on Channel 4. Usually this program has me shouting at the telly in parts, but the fella last night was very good. Extremely talented. The relief carving he did with a router was amazing. The finished house he built was superb.

I've seen someone carve a chair with a chainsaw somewhere but can't remember where. Probably an Agricultural Show or something.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
I wish I had taped this programme as I kept seeing snippets of it while I was helping to tidy the GF's house. (She has got estate agents coming round to photograph it today.)
I did see the carving with the router and it was brilliant also that staircase was something else :)

Guess I'll wait for the repeat whenever that will be :rolleyes:

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I don't usually watch Grand Designs (who wants to see some overly rich eejits building ridiculous houses?) but I watched it last night - absolutely superb!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I thought last weeks West Coast of Scotland house was beautiful, but this one took the biscuit. I wish I had the skill and drive of that man.

I also admired the way he stood up to Keving over the roof insulation, with the point that the manufacture of the insulation may not be environmentally on a par with wool, but the performance and durability will - in other words Kev, don't oversimplify environmental factors.

I'm not sure I would have the guts to take a router freehand to a door like that, even if I had the skill.

What a house!

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Good episode, bloody nice house.

I'm sure Kev knew perfectly well why he wasn't using sheeps wool.
Part of his job as the presenter is to as those questions on behalf of the viewer.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Saw the programme on an earlier screening. Fantastic job.

Stayed in a straw bail house when on Operation Raleigh in Chile in the mid nineties. No oak frame but it was well below zero outside but warm as toast inside.

George

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I saw it too, the bloke was a bit of a nutter doing most of it on his own, it look like it aged him 10 years. Didn't stop his hair from growing at an alarming rate though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE