Grand Designs - woodsman's cottage...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
For any who watched this chap 'hand craft' his house last year, the project is revisited next Wednesday.

Wednesday 26th October 21:00

Grand Designs Revisited
"Sussex"

Kevin McCloud presents the series which follows Britain's most ambitious house-building projects. He returns to Sussex to see how Ben Law's handcrafted, self-sufficient woodsman's cottage has progressed. Over the last 18 months, the upstairs has been completed and the whole house has bedded down into its landscaped kitchen garden

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Thankyou thankyou! I saw the first one and I even have his book 'The woodland way' which is a must read for anyone interested in sustainable woodland management. I missed the re visit so well glad to hear its on again :)

Booosh

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Thanks for the reminder. I remember the original program and found it one of the most enjoyable and inspiring ones I've seen in the entire run.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Sandbender, I missed this last time around. I've got friends in common with him and they have enthused about his house. Must watch this one.

Cheers,
Toddy

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I remember that house as being my favourite of the series by far. I was good to see the planning department comming up with (what I thought was) a good longterm solution to an unusual situation. They could have simply denied his application, but instead, because he works the woods, he has permission to build and reside there, but he may never sell or bequeath the house.

Pappa

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
It was amazing to watch the first time round it will be good to see how the house is doing, I'd love to see it for real though but haven’t been able to find it's location

James

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The house is in a village not too far from me in sussex. A friend of mine knows Ben Law. i don't think the locals would appreciate it being a tourist attraction although he did open the village fete. after they caused most of his planning problems i might not of been so amiable.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Apperently he's got a book out about the house found this on amazon, while looking at his other book.

Me a tourist Wayne never i was just thinking of popping by when i was in the area to have a look out of the car window whilst pointing and going ooh look, buy a post card and see if they had any snow globes with a little cottages in them.:D

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I really liked the first show about his house - it's an absolutely amazing piece of work. I found it particularly interesting as I helped build (part of) a post-and-beam house when I was in Oz - but we used mainly recycled lumber rather than new. I tell you, working hundred-year-old recycled tropical hardwood with hand tools was a learning experiece!

I didn't realise he had a book on woodland management though - I might have to buy that.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I missed that one. Sounds good, though. Let's hope it's better than last night's episode where that poor woman got a house that didn't look very nice, wasn't what she actually wanted or needed, and cost twice as much as she got screwed by architects, builders and suppliers left, right and centre.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I remember watching the first one and it was very interesting indeed.

As I remember it had straw bale insulation and some photovoltaics to provide some power.
When it was finished it looked really nice, not a plumb or square wall in sight though so every single piece of fitted furnature would have to be specially made at a vastly inflated cost or time input.

Have got to say though that some of the free "helpers" who "helped build" the place were a waste of space IMO.

Sometimes the time saved by paying a bloke is more worthwhile than the money saved by a willing but unexperienced beginner who works for nowt, and from what I remember there were a few people building that place that were only good for flicking the kettle on.

Not trying to be snotty here but by using people with the right skills the work gets done much quicker IMO.

But I would say that cos I am a tradesman I suppose ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE