Grab Bags

• Thread starter He' s left the building
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I'm getting into nylon (?) which is odd as I work in leather, but it dries quickly weighs nowt and is hard wearing. I'm working on a bag that sits in the boot of my car/ back of back door with all I need for an afternoon stroll in the woods and that looks like it would fit the bill.

I've just ordered something else and the Kifaru is due next week with a lid that doubles as one of these - I will add to this when I know more.

Thanks for taking the time to review and posting a helpful link.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
bought one a while ago - don't know how I missed this thread as I would have posted sooner!

Anyway, this is what I wrote back then...
I often find myself needing to carry a few essentials, be it around a campsite with Scouts or when out for a bimble, and have dabbled into the world of shoulder bags with little success.

I started with an old camera bag, but didn't get on with it. Then bought a Maxpedition clone off Ebay, but made the mistake of saving a few bob and buying the Flectarn camo version rather than the plain green.

But I think I have solved my bag problem ...

The outer 3 pouches are designed to carry 3 x SA80 magazines, with a few smaller pouches on the sides.
DSC00439.jpg

In the mag pouches I carry an ally water bottle, insulated flask style mug, FAK & mini maglite. In the side pouches I carry a First Field Dressing (but this may end up as a camera pouch yet), and a Leatherman multitool.
DSC00441.jpg

Behind the mag pouches is a large main pocket in which I carry my Crusader mess tins and a folding wood burner stove. There is plenty of room left in the main pouch for other bits and bobs as well, so hopefully the days of bulging pockets are over - for now at least!
DSC00442.jpg
I

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Sorry,slighty OT 'and a folding wood burner stove.' any pics please ?

Like the Grab bag.

Is it grab as in - your driving along and spot some deer, a buzzard, then park up, grab the bag and off you go ?

Nick

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Sorry,slighty OT 'and a folding wood burner stove.' any pics please ?

Like the Grab bag.

Is it grab as in - your driving along and spot some deer, a buzzard, then park up, grab the bag and off you go ?

Nick

Hi S C R,

Sorry about the delay getting back on this - I've been supervising a Branze D o E expedition for school.

I use my bag more as a "bimble bag" than a grab bag. I tend to take it when I don't need lots of gear but still want to make a brew and have the basics on me.

Pitures of the stove as requested...

DSC00488.jpg

Folded with Cruader mess tins for comparison.

DSC00489.jpg

Open up, but with fuel feed door closed.

DSC00490.jpg

Opened up, fuel feed door open.

DSC00491.jpg

With Crusader mess tins on top.

I have forgotten where I got it from and even what it is called :eek: , but it is well made and has served me well for a couple of years now.

HTH

Simon

H

He' s left the building

I have just seen the stove in a book, it is apparently a remake of an Israeli military stove, called a Pocket Cooker: http://www.innoprousa.com/pocket_cooker.htm

I can't understand why it isn't more common in the UK, it seems well made and functional and at that price?!!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
They crop up often on the site, being sold as seconds somewhere due to minor damge to the packaging, or easily repaired damage to the cooker itself. Dig about and you'll find more links to them.

As for the grab bags, I believe these are based on the Claymore Bags thast some blokes have been running about with for a number of years now. My brother was using one in Afghanistan during the war which was the first time I personally heard about them being used, so it shows how long they have been in use as grab bags. It looks like an enterprising company has took the basic design and expanded on it, and good luck to them. They look like very functional bits of equipment.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
It looks like an enterprising company has took the basic design and expanded on it, and good luck to them. They look like very functional bits of equipment.

There's a few companies making and selling these now - they can be had for less on eBay every now and then - 25 quid is the cheapest I've seen them. They are quite functional and I've seen them being used for everything from range bags to picnic bags to the true grab bag, left in a vehicle footwell and full of smokes, frags and spare mags.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
well the brits started using them for food and extras incase they didn't get time to unzip the rocket pouches and get them together for a hasty bug out - one of those many bravo two zero lessons. brits are used to carrying a lot in their belt kits or assault vests unlike the americans who just generally carry water and ammo trusting on daily resupply. this style of bag came about from the special units you see on the news wandering about trying to look like journalists but carrying an m4 instead of a camera.

the newer style rocket pouch has an extra set of fastex so you can clip another across the top and detach to clip to the vest if you need it. good design I reckon.

a lot of us also rigged a grab pouch which just had survival kit, compressed food bars and a box of ammo in it incase you only had time to pick it up along with a water bottle and your weapon - lots of fun :)

these tactical man bags are a good idea and less warry than the alternatives. an allen belt kit works in the same way or a chest rig worn backwards.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE