Good News for Fungi Lovers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
"Across the UK, wild mushrooms are reproducing twice a year instead of the usual once, the first time climate change has been reported to affect the life cycle of any organism in this way."

Its a piece in the New Scientist but that might not appear to everyone as it is subscription, so alternative URL's are...

Fungi Love Global Warming

and

the BBC

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
saffy said:
opps wrong part of forum, supposed to be Flora & Fauna.
Threads on fungi go in edged tools.
Threads on woodpeckers go firecraft.
And threads about politics, religon or overtly racist opinion go in general chatter so they pee everyone off equally :lmao:

I don't think it is that great that fungi fruit twice a year. Put it this way St Georges fungi is out this month. It is a big fat tasty spring fungi. It is white all over with white gills. If it is growing next to some dodgy white clitocybe that should fruit in september I could end up needing to go hospital if I didn't check for other factors, like size.

The massive season we had last year was really nice though. But it had become obvious by late last year that season had become a unreliable indictor of indentity.

Fungi also effect amphibians. As the environment becomes more favourible to fungi it also becomes more favourible to infections that kill amphibians. Thier numbers are dropping through the floor at the moment.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
xylaria said:
But it had become obvious by late last year that season had become a unreliable indictor of indentity.

You can say that again - I found several patches of common ink caps (I think - coprinus something-or-other anyway) sprouting today!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE