Gerber axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Fallowstalker said:
I've just been given a Gerber small axe (hatchet) in a belt pouch (about 8" long). How did I manage without it???

Any other views, owners, opinions? :)

I got one too - Good aren't they?
Though i do prefer my gransfors. The only thing about the gerber i am a bit wary about is the grind geometry - its a bit straight - lovely for splitting kindling but because it comes to such point its real east to chip

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I gave my wife the slightly longer version approx. 14" handle for her pack, I carry an old Hudson's Bay hatchet like the Gerber that you mentioned along with a Hudson's Bay Voyageur ax tied to the outside of my pack. The Gerber works fine at splitting and feathering and shaping wood, it also keep an edge well, so far I haven't had to sharpen it with the light use she puts it through, I do most of the hatchet work with my small hatchet. Even skinning rabbits and a deer.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I'm open to being corrected on this but I think the Gerber axes are all but identical to the Wilkinson Sword axes sold at Homebase (I think) in the gardening section where they also sell the smaller 8" size. These are actually marked both "Wilkinson Sword" and "Fiskars" and have an orange and black handle. (Makes it easier to spot if you drop the thing) I would not be at all surprised to find that they all came from the same Fiskars factory.
I bought one of the longer (14" overall) handled axes and it's great tool.
I have recently made a nice leather mask for mine as it came with quite a bulky plastic "clip in" type cover. The axe certainly takes a good edge without too much work. A few wipes with my DMT Diafolds and I could shave the hairs off my arm with it no problem. I think I could get it even better if I were to start stropping it as well, but I think that may be going a little too far for an axe. What do you guys think?

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Fallowstalker said:
I've just been given a Gerber small axe (hatchet) in a belt pouch (about 8" long). How did I manage without it???

Any other views, owners, opinions? :)

Been using mine for years!

From making feather sticks to skinning rabbits, I always though the handle would give out, but still going strong! :D

Always sharpend mine on an old oil stone to a razor edge in a couple of strokes

leon-1

Longstrider said:
I'm open to being corrected on this but I think the Gerber axes are all but identical to the Wilkinson Sword axes sold at Homebase (I think) in the gardening section where they also sell the smaller 8" size. These are actually marked both "Wilkinson Sword" and "Fiskars" and have an orange and black handle. (Makes it easier to spot if you drop the thing) I would not be at all surprised to find that they all came from the same Fiskars factory.

Quite correct, Gerber is now a Fiskars company (part of the Fiskars group), they have been part of Fiskars for quite a few years now.

I have one of the Fiskars axes (orange and black handle) and it is very good, I have a lot of faith in it and for anyone that is learning they are ideal because they cost less than the likes of GB or Wetterling and if you should damage it you haven't wrecked £40 or £50 worth of axe.

They are very head heavy, but once you are used to them they will and do cut very well:)

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've got two of these Gerber axes, the small hand axe but the US version that holds a small fixed blade knife in the handle. This is great for walking up the woods as it can be carried in it's belt sheath with my smock over it so that it's very discrete.
I also have the larger camp axe which is about the same size or just a tad small than the GB FSA.

Now I really like the SFA and have wanted one for ages, however because of money I bought the Gerber first...I've had it two years nearly now and have been actively trying to break it for the last 6 months....I've used the back as a hammer, I've left it out in the sun/rain (little rust on blade but soon rubbed off), I've messed about trying to throw it like a throwing axe and I've rolled over it several times with my 4x4......the thing will NOT break!!!
I'm now coming round to the idea that I like it more than the SFA just for ruggedness :)

I've seen the solid plastic head sheath and didn't like it but both mine came with nice strong black cordura sheaths.

In my honest opinion, they are very very good bits of kit and their only fault is that that don't look in the slightest bit rustic like the GB and Wettlings do.

Bam. :D

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Fallowstalker said:
So what's dodgy about the way the edge is ground?

We're not talking about a scalpel here! :)

Perhaps the best way to eplain is to reference this image that i borrowed :)

The gerber is ground as a fine scandi style whilst most axes i have seen seem to be convex or flat with a secondary bevel. It makes the axe very sharp but IMO prone to chipping - though i managed to remove the chips quite easily with my file and puck.

Attachments

• bladegrinds.jpg
    bladegrinds.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 69

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
To be fair, I've seen several GB's of different sizes with quite nasty chips and dents in them and I have a mate who rolled the edge of his Wettlings....

My Gerber......still won't brake!!!! hasn't rolled or chipped or gone blunt.....

The more I think about it the more I'm sticking with my Gerber :lmao: If only it looked more rustic!!! :rolleyes: lol

Bam. :D

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
I think most axes would smite my B&Q hatchet :lmao:
It's chipped beyond repair, blunter than a pipe and generally can't be used anymore. I've had some good times with it though, and it did it's job.
I think next on my list of things to get is a gransfors small forest axe. :)

namerchanger

Oct 18, 2005
I gave my daughter the small gerber and she loves it. She carries it in her hunting pack, or when she is camping at desolate scuba sites. I have the 14 inch fiskars model with the strange but effective plastic cover. I was not sure that they would function in the extreme cold here in North Dakota. Some plastics break easily at -40. I have been considering a Gransfors Bruks mini hatchet to cut weight even more. How would it compare to the gerber?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE