George's Bowdrill Challenge at the Moot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Congratulations to George on his success in the bowdrill challenge on the last night of the moot. George was challenged to produce an ember using whatever materials he could find in the woods, having been given a piece of cordage and allowed to use his knife and folding saw.

I took photos throughout the whole of the three hours and I can post a selection up here, but some of them show George clearly so I'd need to get his permission...but I can't remember his name on the forum. Alternatively, if you are out there George, I can email you the photos if you'd prefer, or blur your face on the few photos that show you.

Geoff

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
Hi GeoffI look forward to seeing the pictures myself, i have no problem at all with you putting them up at all so dont worry about blurring them or anything. That was a hard night and i was dead chuffed (nearly dead too:p) when an ember finally formed.
George
:)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I think a big congratulations is in order to George for

a: Completing the challenge set him. It was tricky one and to keep at it for 3 hours before succeeding is something I know I wouldn't have been able to have done. I would have given up a long time before he did.

and

B: Eating a whole chicken oxo cube without any hesitation, aids or or signs of being ill whilst doing so

George. I bow to you.... :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I can't wait to see the pics and furthermore, folks what challenge are we going to set him at the next Midlands meet? :D

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Not me this time.

George really had his work cut out for him on this challenge and really stuck at it.

I spoke to him after it and he was really chuffed in succeeding.

Keep at it George and if you want there is always room for more Bowdrill instructors at the Moot.

George

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
OK - here we go. Selected photos from George's bowdrill challenge. I've annotated the pictures with the time they were taken and when I get a bit more time, I'll add some comments. There are another 17 pictures not shown here, so if you want me to post you a CD or something similar, George, let me know.

20:15
bowdrill_01.jpg

20:21
bowdrill_02.jpg

20:26
bowdrill_03.jpg

20:27
bowdrill_04.jpg

20:34
bowdrill_05.jpg

20:40
bowdrill_06.jpg

20:42
bowdrill_07.jpg

20:53
bowdrill_08.jpg

20:54
bowdrill_09.jpg

21:02
bowdrill_10.jpg

21:03
bowdrill_11.jpg

21:10
bowdrill_12.jpg

21:11
bowdrill_13.jpg

21:11
bowdrill_14.jpg

21:26
bowdrill_15.jpg

21:36
bowdrill_16.jpg

21:38
bowdrill_17.jpg

21:38
bowdrill_18.jpg

22:39
bowdrill_19.jpg

22:51
bowdrill_20.jpg

22:51
bowdrill_21.jpg

22:52
bowdrill_22.jpg

22:53
bowdrill_23.jpg

Geoff

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
great photos there.

Ok now for the important question...

What shall we challenge George to do next? :) :)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
If anybody has watched the series ROOTS, Kunta Kintes manhood challenge from the village elders is to go and catch a bird alive.

I say George catch us a bird, preferably a pheasant. I then challenge someone else to cook it, and Ill challenge myself to eat it.
ah yes , the plan is perfect.... :)

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
I have seen a few pheasants on the way into rough close but i dont see it as much of a challenge as knowing thier wit they would practically jump into your pot! Then we would have people saying we had been ripping off rabits heads!:lmao: .
George

P.S.
Really good photos by the way

If anybody has watched the series ROOTS, Kunta Kintes manhood challenge from the village elders is to go and catch a bird alive.

I say George catch us a bird, preferably a pheasant. I then challenge someone else to cook it, and Ill challenge myself to eat it.
ah yes , the plan is perfect.... :)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
well alright then, we'll change to the maasai warrior challenge - you need to whittle a spear and kill a lion.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

Great set of pics Geoff but you don't need to mask my face.... I'm not that shy :D

bowdrill_23.jpg

Well done with the bowdrill challenge George, but be honest: did you have any help from your two SAS bodyguards?

I can confirm he had absolutely no help in gathering the materials or doing the actual work of creating an ember. The only help he had from myself was to a: Hold a torch for him when it got dark, b: resharpen his drill when it hardened off, c: provide him with water and d: join in telling dirty jokes right at the end to help relax him for his last effort.

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
Well done with the bowdrill challenge George, but be honest: did you have any help from your two SAS bodyguards?
Being the other 'bodyguard' I can also vouch that the only assistance he got other nthan that admitted to my Steve was us trying to sabotage him by making him giggle :)

I thought the fuzzed out faces were a self defense system used by the camera to protect it's lense...

I'll say it again; well done George - it realy was a great acheivement especialy as the weather didn't exactly do you any favours. Hats off to you mate - there's a place by my camp fire any time you like, although I might make you light it for me first ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE