Gebirgsjager jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
I searched for this item before I posted and am amazed that it has been brought up before.

http://donnerundblitzen.co.uk/Products/tanandwater.htm

My waterproof is close to giving up and I thought about one of these. Does anyone have experience with using these. It'll get used for mountaneering/hiking/skiing/hunting in Scotland and Scandinavia. I'm unsure about the "totally waterproof" guarantee. I am not a huge fan of cotton either.
Beyond the cost my main problem with gore tex and other "technical" jackets is that they don't feel like can take the abuse I give them. I'm not such a fan of military kit as although tough it s usually too heavy, but i'd like to know what people think anyway.
p.s. I'm not a NAZI :)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I'm not quite sure how it would be "totally waterproof." It looks as if it's a double layer construction, probably quite similar to double layer Ventile. Still, even Ventile soaks eventually.

I do like the jacket though!

Cheers,

Adam

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Firstly I like the look of the jacket

Secondly how do you guys find all this stuff?:D

Its Great, I especially liked the Where Eagles Dare smock and the Mountain smock!

BRILLIANT.:You_Rock_

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I like the jacket very much. Although it is originally a military jacket, the pattern doesn't have a military look. It looks more of a hunting/woodsman jacket wich blends you right in when out and gives you a snug feeling of being more a part of the woods. (that's my feeling about camouflage/green/brown/etc things anyway)

But, the jacket might have a drawback, wich is is being associated with nazigermany of ww2. I know you're not a nazi, you know it and the jacket doesn't have the german uniform look. But some people will know it's origin and this might affect how people think about you. Now. this is also the case with any military pattern. people look deffirently at you. I always get that, nomatter how friendly a smile you put on.

Enough talk about the possible ( and only) drawback. I think it looks like a great jacket and I would wear it any time ( no, not a nazi ;) ) If you buy it and use it. please, please, send me a pm with a review. or post it here. I'm itching to know if it's that great as they say.

o, and by the way. Do you now anything about it's weight?

Cheers!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Even if it is cotton, you could water proof it with a wash in agent no problems, or maybe even wax proof it but I'm not 100% sure on that so don't quote me!!

The splinter pattern camouflage looks great, I think the Germans were way ahead of their time with regards to the kit they had available to them. Sometimes it's hard to believe that we won the war considering the size of their army, and also the experience of hard combat that they had.

It would be interesting to know more about this jacket, unfortunately online shops are no comparison to a decent walk in shop where you get to feel and try on the kit. If you do buy one, please do a review!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Geuf said:
Now. this is also the case with any military pattern. people look deffirently at you. I always get that, nomatter how friendly a smile you put on.
Cheers!

This is why a number of organisations are keen to promote the wearing, if there be need at all, of “stick & leaf” camo as distinct from DPM in the case of the UK. The only problem though, from a hunting point of view, is that I do not know of a better camo pattern for summer and early autumn woodland stalking than DPM.

In the case of Bisley Camp (NRA HQ) there may even be a rule about civilians wearing forces apparel whilst on site.

Cheers

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
spamel said:
The splinter pattern camouflage looks great, I think the Germans were way ahead of their time with regards to the kit they had available to them.

I agree, the Germans had some really fantastic equipment during the war. WW2 history has always interested me and I have piles and piles of books relating to the era. It's almost an addiction. :) I recently ordered a technical book on their Type VII-C uboat and it was a wonderful read. Very technical though, it was full of blueprints, diagrams etc etc...

I really like that smock. If I didn't already have my beat up Ventile I'd probably buy one for myself.

Cheers,

Adam

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
spamel said:
Even if it is cotton, you could water proof it with a wash in agent no problems, or maybe even wax proof it but I'm not 100% sure on that so don't quote me!!

The splinter pattern camouflage looks great, I think the Germans were way ahead of their time with regards to the kit they had available to them. Sometimes it's hard to believe that we won the war considering the size of their army, and also the experience of hard combat that they had."

"we" didn't win the war though did we? it was those ruskies. I read that the germans killed 16 allies for every german. I think I wnat them on our side for the next one :)
Due to a cock up it looks like I'm about to be charged for a course I didn;t take and will not be buying this jacket for a while. :(

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
spamel said:
True, the Russkies didn't do too bad out of it! Of course, I wouldn't have liked to have been Russian during Stalingrad! :eek:
I dunno, considering the casualties they took, I think the Russian people did rather badly out of the war. A courageous lot.
Nice jacket though. It looks like a double layer jacket so maybe it has a modern membrane sandwiched in between.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Perhaps, but if it's a repro of the original jacket I highly doubt that it has a membrane in there.

And also, how the heck would you attach a membrane to cotton? It just can't be done. You need either a nylon or polyester face fabric that a membrance can be either coated or laminated to.

Just my two cents!

Adam

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
addyb said:
Perhaps, but if it's a repro of the original jacket I highly doubt that it has a membrane in there.

And also, how the heck would you attach a membrane to cotton? It just can't be done. You need either a nylon or polyester face fabric that a membrance can be either coated or laminated to.

Just my two cents!

Adam
Wouldn't know, my experience with goretex and the like is limited.

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Klenchblaize said:
This is why a number of organisations are keen to promote the wearing, if there be need at all, of “stick & leaf” camo as distinct from DPM in the case of the UK. The only problem though, from a hunting point of view, is that I do not know of a better camo pattern for summer and early autumn woodland stalking than DPM.

In the case of Bisley Camp (NRA HQ) there may even be a rule about civilians wearing forces apparel whilst on site.

Cheers

Yes, in British and Dutch woodland the DPM works best. I was thinking about buying a stick and leaf cammo jacket. But the army ones are so cheap.
I think it's a good thing there are rules about wearing this kind of clothing. You easlily scare people and put them in a defensive mindset when you encounter them in the middle of nowhere (or the city, doesn't really matter) Especially when you are fully wearing DPM. That's why I rather wear greens and browns. It still fit's you in when out and about, but not as good as camouflage unfortunately. On the other side, I fully understand why people wear camouflage items.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
addyb said:

Just my two cents!

Adam

You could have a drop liner.. Although it's most unlikely that this jacket will have it

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
That's true, the Dutch army has the gore-tex drop in liner and I believe some models of the SAS smock have them as well. But as you said Swede, it's doubtful this jacket would have it.

Adam

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
you could easily fit in the goretex linder of th dutch army jackets. it's fastened with buttons. they are easy enough to sew on.
I must add however, that the Dutch jacket system sucks. the liner is ok, but it's a bulky, heavy jacket with lots of layers. Nowadays they got a new sort of jacket, but I haven't really tested it yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE