Free Camp Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
One of the guys i work witgh gave me a nice pressie today, pictures below.

The helve is made of hickory and needs treating with Linseed or similar and the head is seriously blunt with a couple of nicks that i should be able to get rid off, biggest problem is it does not have a sheath, any ideas as to where to get one?, i have laid a measure along side the axe to an impression of scale, all in cm's.

Thanks for your help once again.

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Best bet is to make one, sould be simple for such a plain design.

Ax is too stubby for me, would like to see pics when you are done touching it up.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I don't know of anywhere that sells axe sheaths on tier own.
As OC says, make one. Or have a trawl round this site and BB, there are loads of people that are very tallented with leather - probably could have worded that better...
But anyway, I'm sure someone will be able to help. You may need to send them the axe though.

Cheers

Mark

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I think I have the exact same axe... cost me £10 from homebase and it's not bad!

Anyway, I made a sheath for mine... it's quite easy.

axe_sheath.jpg

Joe

leon-1

Pretty much everyone here will tell you the same thing and that is to make one yourself.

I have recently been playing with leather, everything from moccasins through sheaths for axes and it is very easy even if sewing things rather than studding.

Use the axe profile through three dimensions to make a template and you will be sorted :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Time to get some leather then, Rob kindly game me the name of someone who should be able to supply.

a Homebase axe eh?, cheeky bugger told me it cost him more than tenner, still if it does the job and it's free, who cares :D :D :D

Thanks for your help guys

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
maver, i'd not sand the handle down or linseed until you've made the sheath and for an axe as a begining I'd use rivets as you only have to buy a little bag of them and a small punch, the rivets themselves just hammer tight. I got everything from http://www.leprevo.co.uk/ if that helps.

have fun and it will be good to see your results!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thanks for the advice Squdders, all i have done this evening is wire wool the helve, i have a small sheet of leather that was kindly donated by a member on here (Thanks once again) on the way, i have a punch, rivets all sorts of other goodies in the shed, will post a picture of the finished result, may take a bit of time as this will be my first attempt at leather work, still if i take it nice and easy i hope i will produce a servicable sheath.

Just like to thank all of you for your advice and encouragment on this and my other posts, nice to see that decency is alive and well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE