Found my perfect Bushcraft belt pouch, budget that is ;)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Hello guys,

I’ve been eyeballing several Bushcraft belt pouches and while most of them are really nice they are because of the handwork involved quiet expensive regularly going over £ 50 (about $ 100.00).
I bought a nice small beltpouch made by Mr. George Wilson who can be found on the Made in Cumbria site (www. madeincumbria.co.uk) and his belt pouch is very nice, decently made and price wise, only £ 11.50 including postage to Europe a real bargain.

I really like the small belt pouch from Wilson but it was just to small to store my “big” mobile phone (a Nokia 6600) with some bushcraft items as a SAK, Firesteel, Recta box type compass etc.

Well being Dutch I natuarly always look for bargains and when our Scouting group was present at a spring market/event last Sunday where there were a lot of people selling their old “junk” I had a ball and I spend the whopping amount of less then £ 7.00 for a shopping bag full of goodies.

I saw this nice little “women’s” handbag that was made of super nice strong cognac brown coloured leather and had a very nice simple and reliable closing mechanism.

bushcraft-belt-pouch.jpg

I only need to remove the long shoulder carry strap which is easy as it runs through a stitched “channel” and I plan on either shortening the long shoulder strap to form 2 belt loops with the middle “piece” going through the stitched channel, so that the pouch can hang a little below my belt.

Now for the whopping price I paid for this very nice Bushcraft belt pouch……. € 0.10 YES only £0.07 ! the 2 other very nice handmade leather women’s shoulder purses cost me another £ 0.14

So for 30 Eurocent I had 3 shoulder purses 2 for my wife who was very happy and one for me to be made into a very nice Bushcraft belt pouch.

I won’t even mention the brand new Ray Mears hardcover Bushcraft book that I bought for € 1,- (£ 0.66) and a leather sewing kit with leather “glove” with cast iron piece to press needles through the leather together with a complete set of leather needles an thread, leather punches etc for € 2,- (£ 1.40), a brand new unused stainless steel thermos bottle 0.5 liter for € 2,- (£ 1.40) , old 8” by 5” by 4” 40 year old “strong box” for € 0.50 (£ 0.33) and some other goodies, I had a ball I can tell you that ;)

We had a lot of visitors at our Scouting stand where we had different activities for kids and it looks like we got a good number of new kids that will be joining our Scouting group.

My advice go bargain gear hunting on these “spring” markets or as you probably call them “car booth sales” go early and you could be surprised by what you find :)

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Excellent stuff mate, it sounds like you got some real bargains. Now there's going to be hundreds of bushcrafters trawling through the car boot sales for the next few weeks!

It does go to show though that there's a huge amount of stuff that we can adapt to our needs. :D

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
next week saterday there will be flee markets all over the place in the netherlands, i wonder what bagheera will show up than... I got to work that morning, so i guess i got less time for it.

The greatest deal i got lately where very nice, features loaded supplex shirts for € 10 each. ( where € 55 )

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
when ever i step in to a car boot everything seems to turn in to worthless junk... whats that all about..?? your lucky your not cursed with the same miss fortune ;)

good find mate.. im glad it suits!

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
TomTom,

My wife would love you for this "seems to turn in to worthless junk... " ;) I always seem to find things that I want to carry home :D

Must be some 'CH' 'EA' 'PO' piece of DNA code I inherited as a Dutchman :p

Without kidding, there are nice finds, for almost nothing, to be found on such car booth sales, you just need to recognize them and know what an item can be after you cleaned it, modified it or repaired it.

Next Saturday will be Queens day in the Netherlands and then everybody is allowed to sell his or her "junk" on big flea markets that will be literally everywhere in the Netherlands that day and great finds can be made, I'm sure ;)
I alreasy started saving euro coins of 5, 10, 20 and 50 Euro cents so the transaction can be done quickly :D

Bagheera

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Biddelsby,

Sorry for the late reply, currently I use the belt pouch during normal Monday to Friday work to hold±

- Nokia 6600 (quiet large)
- Moleskine small pocket notebook
- Namiki Vanishing point fountain pen
- Doug Ritter RSK MK1 knife
- gas lighter
- large firesteel
- some tinder pieces
- small ziplog bag
- some band-aids

During weekend Scouting activities I chuck out the Moleskine and Namiki VP and replace them by the Ritter Mini Survival kit and some boullion cubes.

Bagheera

S

Skippy

if you dont like or dont know how to cure skins, try getting an old sheepskin or rabbit skin coat from the local charity shop. you can make allsorts with it.

S

Skippy

I have made a possibles bag, a quiver for my arrows, bags for holding flints & tinders, even a nice davy crocket hat, made a nice knitting needle holder for the missus too.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
When I saw the title of this thread & who it started I was afraid that I would have to run to the Aldi again :D

Nice bag!
-Emile

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Emile,

This message is typed on an Aldi Laptop ;) I reguarly wear Aldi "outdoor shirts, pants, and since a visit to an Aldi just over the Border in Germany, Aldi Hiking socks which I should have bought at least six pairs of, an Aldi nice OD web money belt for 2 BP and a head cover anex neck thingy, sweat band etc for .... yes .75 BP.

And if Ray Mears had been clever he would have bought 1000 or more Aldi folding saws for 2 BP put an R.M. sticker on it and sell them for 15 BP.

Am I an Aldi fan, well ...... if I like what I see and can use it and the price is right ;)
which it most times is yes :D

Bagheera

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE