Flying to Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greenphotos

Aug 7, 2007
Hampshire
Hi,

On a similar but slightly seperate issue as the Flying thread aldready posted, wer'e flying up to Aberdeen in March and hope to pack a backpack including things like knives, full cells (for one of those tiny hex burners), Wire saw etc - as you can see it's just my little survival pack etc.

Does anyone have any experience of flying with these things? I am happy to put them into my pack and put that in the hold. Is this usually ok?

Mark

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Just spoken to one of my contacts at British Airways who looks after dangerous goods, he advises that any sort of fuel or indeed any combustable material, be it gaseous/liquid or solid is a definate no no, the only way to ship it would be as hazardous cargo, with full IATA Haz Mat documentation.

As per the flying thread, a call to the airline you are flying with is always worthwhile if you are not sure, as AndyN stated, sharps are fine as long as they are in your hold luggage.

greenphotos

Aug 7, 2007
Hampshire
Thanks - we'll not bother with the hex burner then and just use the MSR Dragonfly.

Will probably take a Bivis and a tarp. may have to re-think due to the cold conditions though..

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I haven't had any problems yet when flying from Aberdeen with knives in hold baggage. I agree with andyn and maver that fuel is a definite no !

I read on a climbers forum a while ago (can't remember which one ) that you have to ensure that any traces of fuel are removed from the fuel bottles before flying, and if there is even the merest whiff of meths, petrol or whatever then the bottle will be confiscated.:eek:
Hope this helps:)
Doug.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE