Fixing a 58 pattern poncho

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Hi guys, I recently picked up a 58 pattern poncho which although the fabric seems largely waterproof has quite a few little holes in it. I want to repair it- what's the best way? My thoughts so far are, tape the inside and glue the outside- I did also consider using puncture patches. Any ideas or cheap solutions much appreciated.

Cheers, joab
Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Not sure what year it was issued, genuine army issue rather than a repro though. Aside from the holes (of which there seems to be quite a few! ) it seems sturdy- reasonable sized shelter when up as well. I'll have a look and see if I can find that tape

Cheers guys, joab

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
May as well get a replacement poncho and use this one for something else. First 58 ponchos were rubberised rather than the nylon later issue.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Think it must be a later one as it feels like nylon- bit of a rubbery feel to the inside. Seems a shame to dump it :(

You could use it to make other kit with, a waterproof bag liner for an example.

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
I used some cheap 'Duct' tape and superglue (both from the £ shop)

Stuck the tape over the hole in a patch fashion and after decanting the glue (i think there were a few tubes in a blister pack) onto a bit of foil i covered the tip of my finger in some cling film and used that to wipe / dab the patch all over covering it and the area over the edges,
When that was all dry i just dabbed in the same fashion )minus the 'patches' on the outside

Could you not buy a cheap tarp when they are back in the £ shop and tie it into the 58 pattern one creating a waterproof second layer but with the abrasion protection of the 58?

ATB

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Thanks guys

I think before i repurpose it i'm going to see if i can sort out the leaks- i've temporarily patched it with some gaffer tape whcih isn't firm enough to stay there long term. A short while back i asked about fixing a small hole in a tent- the materials not dissimilar so i might use the advice given then by Barethrills. He suggested using Gorilla glue- which along with a (gaffer) patch might make it all lovely again....if not pretty. The other thought i had was to use silicone- its used on army basha sheets i think so could work?

cheers

joab

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE